Friday, March 03, 2006

JOEL'S NEW LOOK!

It's pretty tough when you have children that have to go through things that as a parent you know will make life more difficult for them. Maybe it's because I have been blessed to never need glasses, at least for now in life. But this has been a bit tough for me, and I'm not sure I can put into words why, except that I'm his mom.

I have a great friend who watched Joel and Myah for us while I was in the hospital having Kiana. After that time, she asked if we had ever taken Joel in for an eye appointment. She thought she had seen something with his eyes. We watched for it for a while, and never saw anything, so we let it go. A whole year later, we were over there just visiting and she again said it, so I went ahead and made an appointment. Joel definitely needed glasses, and even my pediatrician didn't think she saw any need to have him checked out. Can I just say, "Thank you Cece!" Not every friend would keep bringing something like that up, but you did! :)

It's amazing the difference it's made. Joel can see the world around him in a whole new way! He was pointing out things to me today that I really think he was able to notice for the first time. We watched a video together tonight, and he laughed and laughed. I really think before today, he just couldn't see the screen well enough to really be interested. Books have a whole new meaning for him! He's pointing out things more on the pages. He was actually coloring in the lines this afternoon as we sat and colored an airplane together! Not only has it helped all that (in just one day!), but he's had a smile on his face!

1 in 6 children suffer from far-sightedness, but many are un-detected. Often times it isn't until school starts for a child and they struggle with the learning process that it is finally noticed. We have no idea if Joel could never see well, or if this is something that has come on later in his 3 1/2 years of life. I guess we never will.

I am grateful for doctors, who can be a part of the "stitch by stitch" process of a miracle in my son's life. I KNOW God can touch him and heal him instantly, but sometimes it's a process. Someday, hopefully Joel will be able to benefit from Lasik surgery to completely correct his vision, if God chooses to use that route, but as he's too young at this point, we are thankful for eye glasses which have opened up a whole new world to him!

3 comments:

the Domina said...

Having SIL who is an optometrist,she says little kids up to age 2 or 3 generally have good eyesight. How anyone determines that is a mystery to me...

I never needed corrective lenses until I got to college and realized that sitting in the back row of the auditorium I couldn't read the teacher's writing. Since then, 4 pregnancies have made me develop astigmatism. I NEED GLASSES/CONTACTS!! It's not that bad - his life won't be scarred by it, and he'll probably opt for contacts once he is 12 or 13. The way you react to his glasses (oh poor little Joel) will do more to influence his view on them than anything other children will say.

Steve has -7 myopia, which means he can see about 3 inches infront of his face. So I plan on having at least one child end up with glasses.

Anonymous said...

He looks really cute, and proud (which is great!) I agree with Sara, he probably will get contacts one day. I've had glasses/contacts ever since I can remember and also have an astigmatism. The worst thing about having TERRIBLE eyes (yes, they are terrible) is that if I take my contacts out and don't have my glasses right there, I can't find the glasses (even if they are right in front of me!) He'll adjust great and how wonderful that we live in a day and age that our vision can be corrected! Love, Julie

Kimberly said...

What a cutie!! I think Joel looks adorable sporting his new glasses. My husband and I opted for lasic surgery 7 years ago. I was shocked at how quickly it was over and the results were amazing. Maybe when Joel is old enough, lasic surgery will be even more affordable.