Wednesday, March 22, 2006

HOME-MADE FLOUR TORTILLAS

I just made these for lunch today. We filled them with chicken, pesto, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, and cheese. Seriously, these whip up very fast and are very healthy in comparison to the ones you buy at the store! What we didn't use, I put in the freezer.

5 cups whole wheat flour (I used 3 cups whole wheat, 2 cups white)
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 2/3 cups warm water

Stir together dry ingredients, then add oil and water. Mix well and knead lightly. Pinch off walnut sized pieces of dough and roll out VERY, VERY thinly on floured surface. Try to make them round, but whatever works fine. Heat an ungreased griddle or frying pan to very hot and cook on one side till bubbles form, then turn over and cook on the other side until brown "freckles" appear. You can accentuate the bubbling and air pockets by pressing down with a dry cloth or spatula after it has been turned over. Makes about 20.

No comments: