Sunday, March 26, 2006


ART/CRAFT DAY

We dedicated Fridays as art/craft day in our house. Myah just loves to do art projects, but unless I commit a certain day to it, I seem to keep putting it off. Now I know I have to prepare something for Fridays, and Myah can look forward to it knowing we will actually get around to doing it!

One of the main books I use is Usborne's "What Shall I Do Today?" It include drawing, painting and "making" things. This past Friday, we made a bouquet of flowers for a vase. Though ours didn't quite look like the picture in the book, we had a lot of fun making them together. We are all in the mood for spring, and this was a really fun project using things we had around the house.

(Taken from "What Shall I Do Today?" page 80-81)
To make a daisy:

1. Fold a sheet of paper towel in half. Cut along the fold.
2. Fold one of those halves in half, long sides together.
3. Decorate with long stripes or your own design.
4. Fold in half with the short sides together, and then in half again.
5. Make long cuts close together form the bottom. Don't cut all the way up. (Make sure the attached side is on the right side when cutting...)
6. Open it carefully so it still is folded in half one time the long way.
7. Tape one end to a bendable straw. Roll the paper tightly around it.
8. Fasten the loose end with tape. Pull all the petals down.
9. Snip little pieces of yellow paper or yarn and glue in middle.

To make another flower:

1. Take 2 sheets of tissue paper and put a small plate or saucer on top and draw around it.
2. Cut around the circle through both layers. Fold in half and then in half again.
3. Twist the corner and tape onto the end of straw. Gently pull petals apart.
4. Make a ball of tissue paper and glue it in the middle.

2 comments:

the Domina said...

Thanks for the great craft idea - my kids have their mom's "artsy" genes and like to do crafts everyday, if they can! Often I do a quick sweep of the house gathering odds and ends and come up with something off the top of my head, with varying success rates. So any suggestions to mentally file away are much appreciated!!!

Here's one we did recently -

MILK JUG BIRDFEEDER
one gallon milk jug
4 bamboo skewers
string
scissors

Cut large holes in the sides of the milk jug following the contours of the container. Leave about 1" of the side remaining on the bottom edge. You'll be left with four corner "posts".

Poke 2 bamboo skewers through one side near the very bottom through to the other side. Repeat for other 2 sides. Makes a tic-tac-toe pattern across inside bottom of jug.

Poke 2 holes near top to lace a string through. Fill bottom with bird seed and hang up!

Terri said...

Thanks, Sara. I'm lacking a bit in the "artsy" genes, so any step by step projects are appreciated around here. Keep passing the ideas on, if you don't mind! :)