Wednesday, March 29, 2006

AHH, A FRUSTRATING DAY...

Yup, it's been one of those. Is there any other mom out there who continues to beat themselves up thinking that you never do enough??? I feel like I fight myself all day long. When I'm spending time in prayer and reading God's Word, I feel guilty for not playing with my kids. When I play with my kids and haven't spent the time I need to with God, I feel guilty that I'm putting them ahead of Him! The laundry has piled up, the kitchen is a disaster. I've been comparing myself to other moms who "seem" to have it all together, which though I know I'm NOT suppose to do, just makes me feel terrible! I have so much to do, I don't even know where to begin today. My kids are all down for their nap/rest times and I look around and end up coming to the computer to vent! And then I feel guilty for giving myself 5 minutes at the computer instead of tackling my chores! It's a vicious cycle!

I know that balance is the key, as well as priorities. There are many days where I feel very on top of things, but when days like today come, I just feel at a complete loss. As my daughter puts it, "Mom is just *off* today!"

As I write this, it's just hitting me that I've been looking at my day as a day with the glass half-empty. If I change my tune and think of it as half-full, I might look at it this way...

I brought the garbage out. I washed and dried 2 (of my 6) loads of laundry. I pushed my kids on the swings and played with trucks in the sandbox (even if it was for only 15 minutes...). I read my daily Bible reading. Yes, I still have my Bible study to do, but I've at least gotten somwhere! I managed to make a decent lunch, which included taking the time to cut up a fresh pineapple (per Myah's request...). I took a shower. Dinner is in the crockpot.....

Maybe if I get up out of this chair and get going on things, I can have my glass at least 3/4 full by the time Evan gets home. Is there anyone else that ever feels like this??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it sister... I can SO relate! I think guilt is our greatest enemy as moms. It is a heavy load to carry... and I carry it most days, as well! I could sit here and type all the "right" things, but the reality still is that there are many moments when I wish I could just run away! I actually just started reading a book yesterday (for about 10 minutes while my kids played at McD's) :) by a mom named Julie Barnhill--this one about moms struggling with anger, etc.--and it was like she was reading my mail... and I realized: we moms aren't very good at just talking about the REAL stuff, because we are so afraid of looking bad or being judged... So Terri, thanks for being honest. We all know you love your God and your family and that you are trying to do your very best. I would say that's probably true for all of us. But that doesn't mean it's easy! You know what's funny, is that I always think of you as one of those moms that has it together most of the time! And if you have thought the same of me... well, honey, let me just assure you that I do NOT! :)

-Val

the Domina said...

Girlfriend - we are in the same boat. But put it this way: Is it EVER possible to do enough?? There is always more to do, clean, read, bake, clean again.... I am so thankful that God created TIME and put us in its bounds. That way we only have one day to deal with (actually, just one moment to deal with) at a time. There are days when I think my glass is empty and laying on the floor in shards. Then there are days when I feel like I "super-sized" my glass and it's still spilling all over.

Laundry and chores can always wait an hour or so, or even another day. Eating fast food once in a while won't kill anyone. Playtime with the kids is important - they're only little for a short TIME. But remember, to them 15 minutes is a long TIME and might be all they need with Mom for a bit.

I'd say anyone who is making her own dough and homeschooling her kids on top of bible studies, gardens, weekly crafts, etc is doing AWESOME! Keep it up.

Sara

Terri said...

Thanks for the encouragement girls. I sure needed it this week! One day at a time...and sometimes one minute at a time! (I wish I had someone to remind me of that in the midst of it all!) I'm just thankful I finally got my laundry folded...for the next hour at least! :)

Becky said...

Terri,

I am in awe of girls like you, and that's the honest truth! I often get bogged down in the laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. myself, and I don't have any little ones! I still work part-time and I'm trying to write a book on one of my days off, but sometimes, these don't seem like good enough excuses, especially when I have a hungry husband who sweetly inquires what dinner is going to be...and then I feel HORRIBLE. Please just know that you are doing a great job. I have to remind my sister of this all the time, especially right now, as she's pregnant with her 4th, that it's not easy to be a wife, mom of 3, and dealing with the strains and yuckiness that can go along with a pregnancy. But she IS doing a great job, and I know you are too. You are an inspiration to me, so be encouraged by that! I look to women like you and my sister as the examples of the kind of mom I want to be one day, so keep up the good work!
Love,
Becky