Tuesday, April 04, 2006

JOINING THE LITTLE HOUSE BAND WAGON

I guess we're finally to that stage. It seems like every friend we have with young kids either already has read or are currently reading through the Little House series. I recently purchased the set from e-bay and we started reading "Little House in the Big Woods" yesterday. I use to have the set when I was young, but over the years and the moves, I have no idea where they ended up. We are already on chapter 4 and Myah asks at least 4 times a day for me to read to her. Joel isn't quite as into it, but we have taken the advice from some good friends who have a really good reading habit going with their kids. We often read before naps, etc., but our main story time is before bed. I let Joel pick his own book of interest out and read that to him first, then he has the option to sit and listen or go to bed. So far, he has chosen to sit and listen. :) Kiana gets her own age-appropriate books as well, but at this age, I don't make her listen to Little House. So far, we are enjoying this immensely!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Terri,

Sarah and Garrett have been reading through the Little House books for over a year now to their kiddos. I think Sarah just finished "The Long Winter." Anyway, the kids love them, even though I'm not sure they grasp much of anything, but the point is, to get them to love books, and the comprehension will come later!

Becky

Anonymous said...

Hey, like the new look (though I liked the last one too!)...

Matt has been reading Miriam the Little House series at bedtime, and then we got the first season on DVD for the kids for Christmas... she cannot get enough Little House! She and Levi are always pretending to be Mary or Laura or Pa or Jack (and I get to be Ma occasionally, too), and we even got her a bonnet for her birthday. (Now I have to explain to our families, no, not ALL homeschoolers wear bonnets!) :) I think I have been missing out, though, because Sunday I sat down and listened to Matt read, and I was totally getting sucked in! Many life lessons to be learned from those stories. Enjoy!

Val

Terri said...

Like I said, EVERYONE is reading these!! :) They are a great way to transition from picture books to chapter books. Some good friends of ours have also read and highly recommend "The Carolyn Years" and "The Rose Years". So, when you do finish these, check those out!

Becky -- I just loved the pics of your niece and nephew on your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Val -- Thanks for the comment on the new look. I was inspired by the Hemmekes (doesn't theirs look great? I'm not that techy...) and though I really liked my last "look", I was kind of tired of reading on the dark green all the time and I'm a person who likes to have a change once in a while. (For example, I'm always trying to move my furniture around!) I do miss the floral banner at the top, but just needed something different. I am SLOWLY figuring out how to add things to my side bar. I don't usually have much time to sit and play with it, and I seriously have been trying to figure this out for at least a month now! I was thrilled when I got it to work last night! I really think you should consider starting a blog! I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I just have to manage my time wisely!

Anonymous said...

I do not doubt that I would enjoy blogging... I DO doubt, however, that I would spend my time wisely...! -Val