Monday, April 17, 2006

LOVING MONTANA

It's been almost 4 years now since we moved here to Montana. When we first left to come here, we seriously only thought it would be for a year or two. It's always amazing to see how God has other plans than what I do. I love the verse about how a man has many plans in his heart, but it is God who determines his steps. I'm so grateful for that because if we would have determined our own steps these past few years, we would have missed out on so many of God's wonderful blessings that he has given us through our obedience in coming and staying in Montana.

God took us through some tough times. I shed many tears in our first year of living here. God kept me from any close friendships for about 9 months after we arrived. He was doing a work in my heart. I seriously would walk around the grocery store looking for another mom that I might introduce myself to, but it never really happened. He needed me to realize that I needed HIM first ahead of family and friendships. HE was the One I needed to talk to and share my heart with. HE needed to be my first priority! It was a hard lesson to learn, but I'm so thankful He took the time to teach me!


We left so much behind when we left Michigan. Our parents live about 10 minutes apart. We had so many wonderful friends that we had developed a relationship over many years with. That's such a priceless thing that you could never replace! But God knew what He was doing. I finally met a friend after 9 months. We did a lot of walking together. I was so grateful that God finally provided someone that I could share conversation with. Today, He has blessed us with many families that are like family to us. Praise God for the body of Christ. They will never replace our moms, dads, sisters and brothers, nor can they replace our friends back in Michigan, but they are new added blessings that have filled the gap and satisfied that need in our lives. And now they have become irreplaceable as well. We love them dearly!

One of God's greatest blessings is the bond that our immediate family has made having gone through this experience. It has bonded our marriage together in ways I can't even explain. The times that we share together as a family are priceless! We are learning what holidays and birthdays are like without grandparents around, but as a result are trying to get creative and make them extra special when it's just the 5 of us!


We have always been a family who loves to enjoy God's beautifulful creation. Montana has fingerprints of God on it that are unique to any other place in the world. The pictures on this post have all been taken in the county that we live in. We have made many memories as we explore this state enjoying God's beauty while we hike, fish, hunt and camp. We look forward to making many more memories with our family doing these things as they grow up. It's becoming a part of who we are!

When Evan first told me he got the phone call about moving out here, I never anticipated what God had in store for us over these past 4 years. I couldn't have imagined or dreamed the plans He had for us. This only excites me to the bone about what He has in store for our future.


Yes, Michigan will always have a special place in our hearts. Not only do I miss people there, but I miss the lakes, the beaches, the trees and the colors of fall that are so vibrant in that part of the nation. But God has called us to a new place. We have been asked to "pick up our tent stakes" and spread our wings westward a bit. Being in the Lord's will is all that matters. When you're not in God's will, there is no peace. I have a peace in my heart. I know this is where God has called us to pound our stakes in the ground, and I'm grateful to Him for expanding our horizons by 1500 miles!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Terri,

Does that mean you're Montana folks for good? I thought you meant to "move back" one day? Just curious...

Love,
Becky

Terri said...

If God ever calls us back to Michigan, we will be obedient. At this point, however, it looks like Montana will be our permanent home. One day at a time...seeking His face and His will. Both of us are feeling really settled here, though. :)