Thursday, April 13, 2006

A FREEING THOUGHT...

As I was glancing through Girl Talk blog, I read the following quote, which was listed on their "Fashion Pt. 4" discussion.

"And because we are created in the image of our Creator, each of us has this propensity to make things beautiful. That means, when we decorate our homes, or plant a lovely flower garden, or seek to add some form of beauty to our surroundings, even when we attempt to enhance our personal appearance, we are actually imitating and delighting in the works of our Great Creator."

Something I have often struggled with is whether it was appropriate or not for me to spend time and energy doing the very things they discussed, or if that was just my being selfish and acting in my flesh. I enjoy things like flower gardens, decorating my home and getting my hair done onoccasionn, but never thought about my enjoyment of it coming from the fact that I am made in the image of my Creator and have the same desire to make things beautiful! Read the whole article. It's a good, thought-provoking post!

2 comments:

the Domina said...

Hey Terri,

Edith Schaeffer has an interesting book that devotes a chapter or two to this very subject: "The Hidden Art of Homemaking." The title is a little misleading. There aren't any how-to's in the book, just lots of ways to create and bring beauty to our homes using whatever resources we have. Her premise is that we have the tendency to create/make things beautiful because we ourselves are made in the image of the Creator (we have Creator-like inclinations). It's an old book, but good reading. Worth having on your own shelf.

That said, keep on making things beautiful (including yourself!!). I guess the caution is not to get wrapped up in it and make it an idol.

Terri said...

Thanks, Sara. Sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I'll look for it!