Sunday, February 19, 2006

TIME ALONE...

Yep, Evan's been out of town this weekend. I never like it when he's gone, which really isn't very often, but I am slowly learning to make the best of it and accomplish things that I don't normally get around to.

There was one experience with him gone that was right after we moved in this house. We had been in Montana about 1-1/2 years, and had only been in this house about a week. We didn't know the neighborhood very well, and hadn't met any people on the street yet. Evan had a training for work, and I was home with the two kids at the time. (Kiana wasn't here yet!) CJ, our black lab, decided to attack the large front window at around 11pm at night. Now, CJ is getting up there in years, and for her to have a serious fit with the window that time of night just about gave me a heart attack! I was in bed reading at the time, and I remember slowly creeping to the window and peeking through the blinds terrified of what might be looking back at me! (I know...where was my faith??? But let's face it, I was not thinking about that at the moment!) I never did find out what it was that made her bark (probably one of 50 cats that roam the street here), but it was a turning point in my time home alone. I learned to trust in my Jesus! I love that verse in the Psalms, "I will lie down and sleep in peace because you O Lord will keep me safe!" And let me tell you, I quote it every night that I am alone, and once I do, I can turn over a fall asleep in peace knowing my big God is taking care of me! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terri, that verse is awesome! It not only can be looked at for bodily safety, but mental safety and physical safety. We have had a very challenging last couple of weeks with illnesses and this morning I was so distraught over the fact that I am supposed to leave for Minnesota Thursday to be with my parents at Mayo clinic and Abby was up all night puking! This verse is a strong reminder that I can sleep in peace. The Lord has it all figured out! Thanks for the reminder! Julie

the Domina said...

We've used that verse to help settle our kids down for bed when they're upset or claim to be afraid (of storms, bad dreams, shadows, etc). Seems to work and help build their faith and assurance that Jesus is with them.
-Sara

Kimberly said...

WOW!! Terri, this is the first time I read this post and I just blogged about something very similar. My husband has been gone a LOT lately and I've been dealing with fear while he is gone. I love your post and your encouragement. I'm definately going to have to add that verse to memory!! Thanks!