Saturday, February 11, 2006

MY SWEET JOEL

The other night, I woke up in the middle of the night with our 11 month old and couldn't get back to sleep after she was back down. I ended up being awake for 3 hours broken-hearted for my 3 year old son. Joel has had a speech delay and we've done quite a bit to help him along. In the past few months, however, we have sort of let things slide a bit in that realm. He's come so far, and yet still has so far to go. I think it was God just "waking me up" to do more for him. I think part of it is that I also have to take him in for an eye exam later this month. I just was feeling overwhelmed for him. He's such a wonderful kid and has had to go through so much in his first 3 years of life. I know we can count our blessings; there are so many children who have more difficult struggles than him, but even little things can seem big to a mom who wants a perfect life for her child. I spent time praying and crying for him that night...

...and then there's God! What a blessing He is!

The next morning, as I was peeling my eyes open for the day, I started the morning in God's Word. Of course, He had such wonderful promises for me!

This is paraphrased from Exodus 23:

Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and bring you into the place which I have prepared...if you indeed obey His voice and do all that I speak, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries. For my Angel will go BEFORE you...so you shall serve the Lord your God, and He will bless your bread and water. And I will take the sickness AWAY from the midst of you. No one shall suffer miscarriage or be barren in your land; I will fulfill the number of your days.

God did send an angel before me that day. I was able to get in with a new therapist (all of which I had been told had waiting lists...) and with the one and only pediatric eye doctor (whom I was told had a 3 month wait!) within 2 weeks. God, you are so good!

Also, this promise from Psalm 30

O Lord my God, I cried out to You, and You healed me....weeping may endure for a night, but JOY comes in the morning!
...Hear, O Lord, and have mercy on me; Lord be my helper! You have turned for me my mourning into dancing...

As I spent some time praising God that morning for His peace and His answers while worshipping Him, Kiana came and laid her head at my feet like she so often does when she wants to be picked up. She wanted in on the worship, because as soon as she was in my arms, her arms were lifted up to Jesus and there was a big smile on her face...and mine. My mourning had been turned into dancing, and she didn't want to just sit back and watch -- she wanted to participate as well!

3 comments:

kyperman said...

I know that as we all got older and went on with our own lives, college, marriage, family, etc...we kind of drifted apart, but you and Traci and Tim were the brother and sisters I never had, and I still feel that way. Julie and I think about you and Evan and your family often.

And little Joel, I wish I knew him better, but from what I have seen of him, especially at Christmas this year, he is a very special and sweet kid. I know that he will be fine, I know that with you and Evan as his parents he will soon blossom and his current difficulties will be a distant memory.

Terri said...

Wow, Todd. You brought tears to my eyes. We love you guys, too! Thank you SO much!

Becky said...

Hey Terri,

Just so you know, you ARE NOT ALONE. This is also the struggle of my little 3-year-old nephew, Ethan. He has a speech delay as well, and goes to a wonderful therapist, Amy, twice a week. Amy has done wonders with Ethan, but like your Joel, Ethan has a LONG way to go, and it is often a source of heartbreak for Sarah. However, last year this time, it was Sarah's one and only wish that she hear her little boy say "Mama," and Ethan now says "Mama" all day, every day!!! God is faithful, and I know both Ethan and Joel will only continue to amaze their families as they grow and develop in God's good timing.