Monday, March 23, 2009

OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (opt.)
3 c. Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beatin egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt andspices; add to butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in oats.Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.Bake 8 to 9 minutes for a chewy cookie, 10 to 11 minutes fora crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove towire cooling rack. Store in tightly covered container. 41/2 dozen.OATMEAL COOKIE SQUARES: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased13"x9" pan. Bake about 25 minutes or until light goldenbrown. Cool completely; cut into 1 1/2" squares. Store intightly covered container. 4 dozen.

VARIATIONS: Add any one or combination of two of thefollowing ingredients, if desired: 1 cup raisins, choppednuts, or semi sweet chocolate, butterscotch or peanutbutter flavored pieces.

3 comments:

Camille said...

I was checking my oatmeal cookie recipes against yours and yours sounds healthier...did you reduce the sugars and butter? Also, would 1 stick of butter be 1/4 cup? Thanks for posting recipes...I love trying new ones!

Terri said...

Hi Camille, I got this one off the web. I think it's one of the quaker oats recipes. I didn't change anything about it. 1 stick of butter would be 1/2 cup. These are really yummy, though after watching a movie on healthy eating last night, I may try to decrease the sugar even more the next time I make them! I might post about that movie if I get the time...

Camille said...

Thanks for answering so quickly...I think I will try them...we love oatmeal cookies around here and this one has less sugar than mine. I have found that reducing sugar does change the final product, but...
In regard to healthy eating, I am on the same page...everything in moderation is my motto. :) Have a wonderful day!