Tuesday, March 24, 2009

NATURAL HOME REMEDIES

This past month, we have been fighting some viruses. Though I have a lot to learn, these two simple things have helped us through this time.

Garlic: At the first sign of a cold (or even once you have it), dice up a garlic clove. (I wouldn't recommend mincing, just small diced pieces.) Scoop it onto a spoon and heap the spoon with applesauce. Swish and swallow. You will regret chewing... :) It's kind of a natural Zycam, which I can't take b/c I'm nursing. Do this up to 3 times a day. My kids actually have been asking for their dose of garlic!

Onion: Joel complained of a sore ear in the middle of a nasty virus. To avoid an antibiotic, I took the juice from part of an onion, mixed it with olive oil, heated it up just enough to make it warm and dropped 3-4 drops in his ear. I did this a couple times a day for several days. We never had to make a trip to the doctor. I also just did this to AJ. He was at the doctor for a checkup on Friday and she said he had some fluid in his right ear, but she wasn't concerned and thought it would clear up. Saturday night he started a fever, so on Sunday I started the same thing. His fever has never come back.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know Terri, I think you get so much more of the delicious goodness out of a garlic clove when you munch it whole in your mouth! :) It's the only way for me, between sips of milk or juice.

Terri said...

I have NO IDEA how you can do that!!! :)

Kim K said...

It is so good you use natural stuff as much as possible. I just prescibed cabbage leaves to my Tech with ulcers and in 3 days she was feeling tons better. There is so much to be learned if you just take the time. Not to say modern meds aren't great, but when they can be avoided they should be. Great job!!!