Monday, March 30, 2009

CURRICULUM!

I always get excited this time of year when I start to look ahead to next year. I spent a lot of time today planning out the rest of this school year. We're going to have to do structured school into the summer a bit more this year, but it's not as long as I thought. We'll take a week off in April, a week off in May, 2 weeks in June, lightening the load up once we come back and work through July. I plan to take all of August off this year before starting up again in September. Though I haven't had the "ok" from Evan to place my orders yet, here is what is hopefully on the agenda for next year!

Myah & Joel:
My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures
This covers Science, Geograpy, Bible, Art & Music. I'm so excited to teach it to both kids together!

Myah:
Primary Language Lessons - Part 2
Singapore Math
Writing Strands Level 3
Spelling Power
Explode the Code 8

My list of books I'd like to purchase for her to read is a mile long. :( I have to decide which ones are worth having in the house and which ones I can get from the library.

Joel:
Primary Language Lessons - Part 1
Singapore Math
Spelling by Sound & Structure
Explode the Code 4

Kiana:
My Father's World Kindergarten
Explode the Code 1
Singapore Math

3 comments:

Camille said...

Hi there! Have you used the Spelling curriculum already? What do you like about it? Have you been using Singapore Math all along? Is it user friendly? Thanks for sharing your insights...there is sooooo much out there, it is useful to ask a Mum who has used the stuff! :)

Terri said...

I use Spelling Power, though not in the complete way they suggest. We do like it. I wish I had more time to really understand all their methods, and maybe I will as time allows. I like that it focuses on the words the kids DON'T know instead of making them study a list of words that maybe they do know for an entire week. If they know the word after the initial experience with the word, we move on, if not, we study it.

The other spelling curriculum that I want for Joel I have never used. They suggest waiting until 3rd grade for Spelling Power, so I'm going with MFW's recommendation on this one.

I have used Singapore Math for 2 years now and have been very happy with it. I like the methods they use to teach. It makes them really think through things without them realizing that's what they are doing. Once we get through Singapore 6, we will dive right into Saxon's Algebra 1. That's their recommendation, I believe. Hope this helps, and sorry it took so long to reply! Enjoy your weekend!

Camille said...

I like the sound of the spelling and the math...thanks for the input! Have a wonderful weekend too!