HOMESCHOOL ON THE BRAIN!
It’s sneaking up faster than I thought it would, but starting a new year of homeschooling is just around the corner! Unfortunately I didn’t do much “maintenance” with Myah this summer like I had originally planned, but we’ll just take some time to review things before diving back in full force if we have to. I think she appreciated not having to think about it at all, and I know I did!
I just placed my big order for the year to CBD for homeschool materials, and though I spent LOTS of time pouring over sample pages and different options, I still forgot a few things, of course. But, I’m pretty excited about some new changes we’re making in curriculum. I decided to switch from Alpha Omega Horizons to their Lifepacs series with a big portion of our schooling to be done through the “5 In a Row” curriculum, because all my children can participate in that.
As I started to ponder and really pray about where God was leading us this year, I really wanted to keep in mind my two youngest ones and try to have fun including them in projects as well. Horizons, which is what we used last year, was not set up that way at all. It was a lot of “seat work” which required my complete attention most of the time, and though Myah learned a lot from it, she really didn’t enjoy it all that much. I also wanted to focus more on children’s literature this year than I did last year.
More for my sake than yours, here is a tentative daily schedule I’ve been throwing around:
8-9 Morning Jars (later post to come explaining this…)
9-10:30 Reading Time (designed to include all interested children)
* calendar
* devotional thought/prayer time/Scripture memory
* Misc. Reading (History for Little Pilgrims, Nature Readers, etc.)
* "5 in a Row" story time and project (I will focus on Literature, Art, Science, History) – I’ll try to explain "5 in a Row" in a later post as well.
10:30-12:00 Play time
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch time
1:00 – Naptime/playtime for Joel and Kiana
Myah Lifepacs: Math, Phonics, Bible
I can guarantee that every day won’t look like this, but it’s a good goal to aim for. On Tuesdays, we plan to spend doing some school with Myah’s friend, Savannah, in Billings. Not sure what all that will entail either, but it will be a nice break in our week.
No comments:
Post a Comment