Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A GREAT ARTICLE ON HOMESCHOOLING...

... written by Steve Walden, editor of The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, is available here. This was especially good for me to read as a former teacher who still often doubts my ability to homeschool. The following are a few quotes from the article.

"Even now, [statistics] show that there is no difference in test scores [in homeschooled children] from parents that have only a high school diploma as [compared] to one who actually has a PhD. Actually, in some cases they score better, because it's harder for parents who have PhDs and teaching degrees to homeschool. . . . Some of the people I've helped the most to dispel their fears of homeschooling [their kids] are teachers.

Steve: Really? You would think that someone from such a high level of education would be able to say, 'Well, I've had training. I should be able to handle this. I should at least be able to carry them through high school.'

Treon: Well, you know, some of them--what they've told me is that they're taught more crowd control than anything. They're taught how to manage a classroom. They're not taught how to individually teach their students. And that frightens them. . . . As a matter of fact, just this last year, one of the moms came up to me . . . who was a teacher and decided to go home. [She] was terrified of teaching her own kids. I spent time with her at this meeting just reassuring her that 'Yes, you can do this. Absolutely. Basically, just forget everything you've learned in teachers' college and get real and be a mom.'

A lot of parents, especially moms, feel inadequate to teach some subjects like science. I have my doubts about my abilities at times. But then I remember some key Scripture passages that bring me around like smelling salts."

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. - 2 Cor. 12:9 (NIV)

Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." - 1 Cor. 1:26-31 (NIV)

No comments: