5 IN A ROW
I am SO EXCITED about this curriculum this year. I just got it in the mail, and am even more pleased than I thought I would be with it. There are 4 volumes to 5 In a Row, and also a "Before 5 In a Row" and an "After 5 In a Row". So far, I only ordered Volume 1, which is designed to get me through January.
It's set up like this. Basically, you spend one week focusing on a particular book. The first story is "The Story About Ping" by Marjorie Flack. Each day, you focus on a different aspect of the story -- Social Studies, Language Arts, Art, Math and Science. The neat thing is, they give more ideas for each subject area than you can possibly cover, so something offered will fit each child. For example, Ping takes place along the Yangtze River, so in Social Studies, one of the ideas is to locate that river on a map and discuss how long 4000 miles really is in comparison to something familiar with the child. It goes into discussing the population and culture of China, etc. The biggest benefit is that it gives you all this information right there, and you don't have to do the research yourself! I appreciate this!
I also ordered the Cookbook to go along with this series, and am so glad I did! Along with a wealth of information about setting the table, table manners, kitchen safety, etc., each week there is a meal that coordinates with the story for the children to help cook. This goes right along with my idea for Myah cooking her own thing each week! For example, to go along with Ping, we will make egg rolls, fried rice, & egg drop soup. We may even attempt to use chop sticks to eat it with! Fun ideas! I'm so looking forward to diving in this year! I just hope my kids enjoy it as much as I will!
No comments:
Post a Comment