ABOVE RUBIES
I stumbled across this magazine last night and couldn't put it down until I had read it cover to cover. You can get your own FREE subscription by clicking on the link above. It covered everything from homeschooling ideas and ways to memorize scripture as a family to breastfeeding for birth control. (Loved that article, by the way!) I stole many ideas and implemented them this morning, teaching them to my kids.
One thing we talked about was that our work should be done to 3 standards -- 1) immediately 2) cheerfully 3) quickly. We used Noah as an example for the first one, and talked about how he obeyed God right away and what might have happened if he had not. We used Col. 3:23 for the second one and talked about how when we work, no matter WHAT we do, we should do it as if we were doing it for God and with a smile on our face! And, for the 3rd one, we talked about what being a "sluggard" was and how that isn't pleasing to God. I also drew diagrams to help my kids understand them. For example, to get them to understand "Immediately", I drew a stop sign, "Yes, Mom!" and traffic light with the green "GO" sign. This is to help them to remember to STOP what you're doing, respond to mom and go do the work.
Another thing I implemented this morning was a way to keep track of the Scripture they are memorizing by creating a caterpillar on the wall for each child. For each verse they memorize, they get to add another circle. This was fun, too! We're anxious to see how long the caterpillars get!
2 comments:
Funny - we've been talking about the same things in regards to obedience!We stated it as 1) obey right away and 2) obey "happy". I like the stop/go idea. We've been trying to get a "yes ma'am" response to know that our children heard us. It's slowly coming...
For a good little (but THOROUGH!) book on breastfeeding relating to birt control/family planning, the Couple To Couple League is a great resource. I forgot the title, but it's by Kippley (Kipper? Kipp-?)
Thanks for the tip on the book!
Post a Comment