Monday, October 09, 2006

A FAMILY PHEASANT HUNT

Saturday was a rainy, dreary day here, but it didn't stop us from getting out and doing a little pheasant hunting. We took all 3 kids, dressed them in snow pants, snow boots and hunting orange vests and headed out. Evan decided to bless me with this opportunity, so he stayed back with the kids and let me go on ahead with CJ, our black lab. We later laughed at how crazy it would seem to most hunters that we would think of taking our family of three little ones on such an experience, but it really does work, and I can only hope that someday they appreciate the times that we spent doing things like this together. We hope that it is instilling in them a love for the outdoors and that someday, we can all hunt together, once they're old enough. Myah enjoys it already because she loves looking at the animal tracks in the mud and pointing out things like milkweed plants. Kiana just rode along in the backpack, and Joel survived as well, in spite of all the walking we did! :)

I really practiced this past few months with shooting clay pigeons, but believe me, that is nothing like the real thing. The first bird CJ flushed was a hen, and you're only allowed to shoot roosters, so I hear Evan yell, "Hen! Don't shoot!" I was thankful he spoke up, but I was so flustered from her flushing, that I don't think I could have gotten a shot off anyway.

After a long walk, Evan decided to head back with the kids. (They were getting a little whiney and had already had wet feet from stomping in the mud puddles before our walk!) So, CJ and I decided to walk one more field. She flushed a rooster, and yes, I missed, but it was a really neat experience anyway. After I made a shot, CJ kicked into full gear (whatever that is for a 10 year old lab who doesn't get much exercise anymore!) and it was like a lightbulb went on. She went so crazy, I could hardly keep up with her. She ended up flushing about 6 more birds, none of which I could get a shot at, but we had fun.

I think the best part of the day, in spite of being soaked to the bone, was that I really enjoyed watching CJ work the fields. I had never experienced that before, and it was so neat to see that instinct kick in. It truly made me appreciate her more! Now I just have to be patient until the next time we can get out pheasant hunting! Success or no success, I'm hooked now!

(I'm once again having troubles uploading my pictures, so hopefully there will be more to come!)

No comments: