Tuesday, July 18, 2006

RECENT PARENTING THOUGHTS...

I've kind of been struggling lately. 3 kids all with different issues going on. I spent some time chatting with a friend yesterday and she prayed with me about my frustrations. I've also been giving my frustrations to the Lord on my own time and begging Him for wisdom. Guess I have kind of known I'm somewhat to blame here. I get in my own little world sometimes and get very "task oriented" instead of child-focused. I see my own issues rather than their needs. It all boils down to my selfishness.

Feeling led by the spirit, I know I need to spend more quality time with my kids. Not only as a group, but one on one as well. My new goal is to spend solid time with each child every day that I'm home, and also to do some sort of fun project/activity each day with all them together. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate any ideas on fun at-home summertime activities.

Today, we had to be in town for an appointment, but afterwards, we picked up pizza, and sat on the grass in the shade at the park to eat it. Afterwards, we spent almost 2 hours in the wading pool there. I think everyone had a really nice time. I know I did. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terri, I would also love to hear ideas on what to do with the kids. I watch "Supernanny" sometimes and, funny as it may be, really see what a difference spending a little time with the kids makes in the attitude they have. They get bored really easy. My problem is that I am very type "a" personality and prefer to complete one task before moving onto another. That doesn't usually work with kids. I have to learn to not let that frustrate me so much and just go with the flow more. It just bothers me so to have a dishwasher half empty, laundry half folded, a bathroom that is MAYBE half clean, etc., etc. I have found that including the kids usually keeps them out of trouble, it just takes me a lot longer to accomplish what needs to be done.
As far as one on one time - I guess that gets more tricky the more kids you have. I am looking forward to the fall when I will get one on one time with Abby every afternoon that I am not working. Now I just need to find the one on one time with Josh. I really miss that with him. As you with more than one child know - you get quite a bit of one on one with that first child, but after others come that time just seems "gone".
Thanks for bringing up the subject - it's nice to know that other moms struggle with the same issues.
Love, Julie

Terri said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences, Julie. It always helps to hear that other moms go through the same struggles. One on one time is a dream at this point, but I keep telling myself it doesn't have to be for long periods of time. Sometimes just showing interest in something they're doing goes a long way! Sitting and playing trucks with Joel for a few minutes. Coloring a page with Myah, and dancing around the living room holding Kiana for a song or two. (She LOVES this!)

I did find myself sliding down their little slide yesterday into the kiddie pool. It was quite a sight, but the kids LOVED that I took time out to JOIN them in their activities. I also recently purchased stuff to tie-dye T-shirts. That will be tomorrow's project! :) Taking the time to get creative and come up with things is half the battle!

Anonymous said...

Great idea about the tye-die! The kids would love that!

I've been trying to put Abby to bed earlier these days as more often than not she does not take a nap. The trick now is to utilize that time before Josh goes to bed to play a game with him, read him books, etc. I do enjoy taking him to the library just the two of us. Abby's not so into it yet, but he just lvoes it.

What was up with that other comment? HMMM...

Love, Julie

Terri said...

The tie dye turned out great, and was lots of fun. :)

I'm not sure about the comment you referred to. I deleted it, though. I have been getting lots of really weird comments that don't pertain to anything, really. I wonder if there's a way I can block those out!!