Thursday, July 13, 2006

FIRE UPDATE & MY OWN PERSONAL BAKING SODA MOMENT

Well, it's almost 9:00, and Evan still isn't home. I haven't heard anything yet either. The kids had dinner and were bathed early. We took a trip to the grocery store for milk and stopped by a friend's house on our way home...anything to stay occupied! The kids are now in bed, and I'm thinking about starting yet another book...

My friend Kristen's husband, Dave, who is a doctor down in a neighboring town, said they had a special meeting in case our local hospital gets evacuated. I was like, excuse me?? If that was evacuated, that would mean that WE would be evacuated, too. Chances of that are very very small, but guess they have to be prepared just in case. I had never brought my mind to that possiblity until he said that, though.

Good news is that the wind has completely died down. That will help keep the fire from spreading. Not sure how much new information is here, but I think it's been updated.

This just brought back to mind my day yesterday.... baking soda saved my house from a fire! :) Myah and I had made a "cookie pizza" for dessert for our dinner guests, and I had rolled it out on my baking stone, but it expanded way too much when it was in the oven and started to spill over the edges. I had a little smoke, and took the cookie out when it was done. (This wouldn't have happened had I followed the recipe exactly, but I chose to make my "normal" cookie recipe instead of the one they gave...) I closed the oven for just a second, and when I opened it back up, I had FLAMES!!! I'm horrible at staying calm in moments like this, and frantically started looking under my unorganized cupboard under my kitchen sink for my fire extinguisher, with no luck. Frantically I called Evan, and thankfully he was sitting right by the phone at work and all I heard was "Baking soda!!" So, I dumped that on, and wheh, the fire was out. My smoke alarms were going off, and my kids were screaming. I had company coming in an hour and a house full of smoke, but baking soda had saved my house. The cookie pizza turned out great even though it had been through all that. I'll try to post the recipe & picture. It's a really good one for having kids help with. We let all the kids put the "toppings" on before eating!

No comments: