Tuesday, April 14, 2009

BREAD RECIPE (as promised!)

6 3/4 tsp. active dry yeast (or 3 pkgs. 1/4 oz. each)
2 1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. veg. oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. salt
5-6 cup all- purpose flour (I like to make 2-3 cups of this whole wheat)

Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and oil; mix well. Add 1 cup whole wheat flour. Stir; let stand until mixture really bubbles, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, beat eggs and water. If you desire an egg wash on top, remove 2 Tbsp., else dump it all in. Add salt. Mix until smooth. Add 4 cups all-purpose flour and beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. (I use my kitchen aid mixer for the kneading part.) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Punch dough down and divide in half. Can place in 2 loaf pans, or divide each half into thirds and braid. Brush with reserved egg mixture (if desired), sprinkle on sesame seeds, garlic, or whatever. (I usually leave plain, but sometimes get creative) Rise again until doubled. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Camille said...

You are so sweet!!! Thanks for remembering! :)

Terri said...

Camille -- You're very welcome. :) Let me know how it turns out for you! I wanted to thank you, too, for the "outdoor clothes" laundry idea. We don't have it down pat yet, but its in the works! I think it will be a huge blessing. Not sure why I never thought of it before, but I'm thankful you mentined it!

Camille said...

I will let you know how it turns out...thanks again! I love baking bread...it's just finding the time to be around for all the rising, etc...

I am so glad you found the "outside clothes" idea to be helpful! Don't know where it came from originally, but I can tell you it SAVES tons of work (and water)!! We have a giraffe thing on the back door with hooks on it that the kids hang the clothes on...if they are really wet, I use a clothes horse. Keep at it! :)

Camille said...

Thanks for this great recipe! We made it today (April 18). It was wonderful...much better than my old recipe. Mmmmmmmm :)