Friday, February 20, 2009

PICU


It's been a week. I'm not even sure where to start, so this post will probably just be the first one to explain it. What matters is that God is good. We still have our daughter, after a very scary incident, and though she is exhausted, a little grumpy and still coughing, she is close to being back to normal. I do know she is happy to be back home, and so am I.

Kiana had an ambulance ride to Billings after being intubated because she couldn't breathe well very late Monday night/early Tuesday morning. They put her in pediatric intensive care for 3 days where she was on the respirator for about 30(+/-) hours. She was given paralytic medicine, along with morphine and one other kind to keep her sleeping and immobile during that time. She was on a feeding tube while the machine did her breathing for her. They were waiting for the swelling in her throat to go down, which is what caused her inability to breathe. She had a very severe case of croup.

It's weird because you just never think it's going to be your kid. Praise God for medicine, amazing people who know how to care for sick people, and for the enormous amount of support we had from so many people who care. (That's an entire post in itself.) Amazing friends, Dwight & Rachel -- who moved in our house in the middle of the night to watch Myah and Joel for an unknown (at that time) amount of time -- Tandra, Jeanie & Cammie, who spent hours loving on Aden in a couple of available rooms in the hospital, so that I could feed him every 3 hours, but still be with Kiana. (He wasn't allowed on the floor b/c of RSV being so rampant right now...) Pastor Wayne -- who was there right after I called, only to make us a huge delicious breakfast and give us a rest time before heading back to the hospital after a very long night. Mark, Cammie & family -- who opened their home to Aden and I for sleep, food and childcare, while Evan stayed at the hospital with Kiana. Jodi -- who brought us clothing from home along with support & love. Aaron & Jamie -- who lead the Thursday night Bible study. Bonnie -- for bringing treats to our family while we were gone. So many more people who called to offer help or came to visit. And SO MANY people who prayed our little girl through this ordeal. Countless cards, stuffed animals, notes, balloons, etc. Thank you all. Words cannot express....


I have some stories to share in the future. Some made me laugh (like glowing toes, needing every animal in her arms at the same time & supposedly eating pizza while on the feeding tube). Some made me cry -- which I did a lot this week. But today, I just praise the Lord. I thank Him with all my heart. He is the ultimate healer. He lent to us our daughter for more time. Life is so fragile. It's incidents like these that really give a person perspective.


3 comments:

Camille said...

I will be praying for you all as you seek to return to "normal". What an ordeal you have all been through! The Lord is good and He does all things well...I am so pleased that this story turned out this way!

Blessings, Camille
Psalm 91

The VanderZwaags said...

You don't "really" know me (I graduated high school with Traci and I'm Sandy Lynema's Granddaughter) but know we were praying for you guys this week and will continue to pray for you these coming weeks. What a scary thing to watch. We praise God that He was there through it all and that He continues to be there!

Terri said...

Thank you so much for your prayers! They mean more to us than anything!