Monday, June 05, 2006

A LONG STORY -- PART 4
THE LAND


There are 80 acres total. We would own 20 acres, but help to manage all 80 of it. The existing home is on the northern most point. There are existing corrals, some worn down out-buildings and a guest house, that needs to be torn down. (Yes, it's that bad!) The land is all irrigated. Some fields need a lot of help, while others are in nice shape. The southern-most point has a row of mature trees, which is where we plan to place our home sometime in the next year or two, if that's God's will. Some future dreams the families involved have may include some organic farming. If it happens, it would be down the road, but it's exciting to think about! Here are some pictures we took last night when walking through the fields.






















5 comments:

val said...

it all sounds very exciting...
so how for sure is it?

Terri said...

Everything will be a long process, but our friends are in the works of the buy/sell agreement stage. They need to sell their other property before we can aquire the land from them. We will begin to fix the existing home up within the next month or two. I'd say we're in about the 80-90% range of having this all happen, as long as there are no major glitches! The building process may not begin for 9-12 months for us, though. Lots of little details to work out!

Becky said...

Terri,

My prayers are with you and Evan right now as you're prepping for a life change, if indeed this is God's will. Change can be lots of fun but it is never easy. I hope that this works out for you...I know how long you've wanted to build a home customized for your family's needs!

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the voice of reality here....but I would be very cautious with something like this. It sounds like a great way to ruin a friendship. I would get a lawyer and draw up some stuff, maybe a land contract of some sort. I would not just agree with a handshake.

What are your friends expectations? What are yours for them...how much is the land worth? How much work would Evan have to do to pay for that? How long would he have to work to pay for that?

I know that you want this very much, but I would be so careful. In my experience deals like this are cause to be very careful.

Terri said...

We are working everything out legally, and will be writing up legal paperwork for the whole deal -- with a lawyer involved. We have discussed all of the questions you laid out and will be working through things very cautiously. Thanks for your advice, though -- whoever you are! (Sure wish people would at least leave a name!!) :)