While Evan's parents were here, we spent 2 nights visiting Yellowstone. We live about 3-1/2 hours from there, and the drive is beautiful, so the time goes by quickly. We got a hotel in Gardener, just outside of Mammoth Hot Springs. We spent the first day doing the major loop. We saw the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, including Lower Falls. We drove through Hayden Valley, and visited the boiling mud pots. We then finished the day at Old Faithful before heading back to the hotel. We saw 4 bears, many elk and bison and a moose cow with a baby. On day 2 we drove through Lamar Valley, stopped for lunch in Cook City and took the Beartooth Pass home through Red Lodge. I love that drive!
While we were there, a lady stepped over a fence boundary to get a better picture and fell to her death in front of her husband and children. Being on the inside of some of those fences makes me nervous (especially with children!!), I can't imagine stepping outside the boundaries. This lady was from MI, near where Evan's parents live. We did not see this incident, but heard about it later when we returned home.
We almost did see a major incident, however. A gentleman backed himself up to a very large bison for his friend to take a picture. He was within arms reach of the animal, and if you know anything about bison, you know that is NOT something you should do. They are very dangerous animals and kill more people in Yellowstone every year than anything else. I really thought we were going to witness a horrible event, but God protected this man. The bison was not happy, and it was only by God's grace that he left the man alone.
Anyway, we had beautiful weather and a wonderful time. Here are some pictures of our mini-vacation.
Entrance to Yellowstone
This is the bison that the man got a bit too close to. As you can see, he wasn't the only one getting too close!
Old Faithful was as faithful as ever and really beautiful on a clear day with blue skies!
Myah and Joel enjoying the view of Lower Falls
Bull elk in velvet
Bear
Beartooth Pass
Kiana enjoying lunch in Cook City
1 comment:
It looks like you had an awesome time! I wondered why you hadn't been blogging lately! It was nice to see all the pics! Yeah, that was pretty scarey what happened to that lady from Rockford (re:falling off). Todd and I have a book about all the deaths that have occurred in the Grand Canyon(yeah, kinda morbid, but very interesting). People do really stupid things not thinking of the final consequences they can cause. There have been MANY deaths like that one there. I'm glad that you didn't see anything gruesome with that bison! That could have been awful.
Anyway, we are heading out to the cottage for a long weekend! I thought about calling you last night. Miss talking to you! Also, congrats on the very real possibility of land! I'm glad to hear your response to that anonymous question re: making sure it's drawn up right. Would hate to see Evan stuck doing work for the rest of his life! They sound like very generous people and I'm sure they will be fair. But, I was thinking the same things that were posted. just care about you and!
Have a great weekend! Love, Julie
Post a Comment