Wednesday, June 28, 2006

GARDENING IN HEAVEN

As I was just outside pulling the millions of weeds in my garden and batting at mosquitos, I was thanking the Lord for the beautiful gardens we get to enjoy in heaven someday...weed free and mosquito free!

We have this horrible weed out here called field bind weed (also called morning glory), and it just wraps around everything and chokes things off. The weeds go for miles (yes, I think literally...it seems so at least...) underground, so it's impossible to ever kill the stuff. I was so intent on pulling it all up that I accidentally grabbed my newly blooming clematis plant and ripped off most of the plant! :( It was the first year it actually came up and I had one good strand going, which is no longer.

As I was pulling all the bind weed from around my plants, I was thinking about how it's similar to sin in our lives. If we have unconfessed sin that we keep hiding and don't deal with, it ultimately affects our whole life. It can choke us off from producing fruit, and we can even become ugly and straggly. (I love John 15!) Bind weed also has this little tiny white flower on it which from a distance can be sort of "pretty". Sin can be the same way. Satan can tempt us with something that might seem appealing on the surface, but actually is very dangerous to our lives.

Just some random thoughts as I was weeding tonight....

No comments: