Thursday, February 04, 2010

RECENT LIFE IN THE VO HOME


Early attempts to potty train (with SOME success, but not much). Also, Aden in his daily choice of boots. Today, it's Kiana's. He wears boots from someone different EVERY day, and they are ALWAYS on the wrong feet!


Kiana and Buttercup are all dressed up for a tea party!! We celebrated two of my friends' birthdays yesterday with a home-made birthday cake and a tea party. I wish I had taken more pictures. We even hauled out the fancy china dishes and white table cloth -- unfortunately a very rare thing around here. The girls loved being "girly" for the day, while Joel and a friend played outside most of the time.... and yes, Buttercup had a dress on and frills in her hair!

The pictures below were taken today of our clay animal creations -- making/baking/painting. We are studying Africa (Kenya to be specific for this week), and after studying about grasslands (prairies, savannahs, pampas and steppes) we made animals that live on the savannah out of clay using the following recipe, which works VERY well for this sort of thing:

4 cups flour
2 cups salt
2 cups water


Mix well. Design creations in extra flour. Bake @ 350* for 25-30 minutes. Cool, and paint!












3 comments:

Camille said...

What a great post Terri! I LOVE the cowboy boots on your little man ~ too cute! Those animals turned out amazingly well. Tell the kids that I think they did a wonderful job on them all.

A little girl's tea party is SO much fun! I did that for Emma's 7th birthday and it was very special. I am sure your little girl will have such happy memories of the day. :)

I enjoy visiting here Terri!

Have a lovely weekend!
Love,
Camille

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Your animals turned out beautifully! I'll have to bookmark your recipe- our kids would love making these. Thanks!

Bethany Osborn said...

We are using this clay recipe tomorrow. We are studying Native American cultures and tomorrow is Inuit focus. They make lots of soap stone sculptures and since I don't have any soap stone laying around, I thought I'd use this idea! Thanks!