Sunday, January 31, 2010

GARLIC FOR COLDS & ONION FOR EAR INFECTIONS

I can't remember if I've posted about garlic before or not, so I apologize if I'm repeating myself. I have been trying garlic as a natural remedy for a long enough time period to really believe this works. This winter, we've had a few bugs, but compared to everything being passed all around us, I feel we've had a very healthy winter, and I attribute it to God's protection, and to garlic, which is also a gift from Him! :D

At the first sign of a cold or virus, we load up on it. About a week ago, Aden was getting a runny nose, and I could tell his throat was bothering him. I diced up a clove of garlic, added it to a couple spoonfuls of his breakfast cereal, and I never again noticed the symptoms. It doesn't always work this fast, but I do think the trick is to take it as soon as you recognize any symptoms. Three days ago, Evan mentioned he had a sore throat. Again, I diced up a clove, he added it to a spoonful of raw honey, and never again complained. I asked him 2 days later how he felt, and he said great! Sometimes I'll even give my kids a clove after we've spent a day running around stores doing our shopping just to boost their immune systems a bit. The times we have gotten sick this winter were times that I wasn't faithful with giving garlic.

The best method: Dice up a raw clove, very small. Put it on a spoon, and heap either with applesauce (which I think works the best), yogurt, honey, or whatever you can swallow without chewing. Put it in your mouth, and swallow. I HIGHLY recommend NOT chewing! :D If you're already not feeling well, do it twice a day until you feel better. I believe it helps you heal up more quickly!

Now, for those of you with little ones who suffer from ear infections. Cut a small part off an onion. Get the juice from it any way that you can. (I use my hand food chopper.) Add a little olive oil to it and warm it up to a comfortable temperature. Drop it into the child's ear with a dropper and put some cotton in to help it stay there. I also try to keep my kids' heads tilted the other way for several minutes if possible. Repeat this process several times a day. I am convinced this has saved me from antibiotics for both Joel and Kiana this winter!

3 comments:

Terri said...

Okay, so I just realized that I have posted about this before, so sorry for those of you who have read this before. But, for any possible new readers out there, maybe this information may be helpful!

Peg V.O. said...

I think it DOES work, but I can personally attest to her recommendation NOT to chew! I have a problem swallowing some textures and I just couldn't help myself when Terri gave me some in applesauce last year. I had a terrible time getting it down even knowing that it was all mental on my part. I'm going to have to get my head on straight before I give it another try. I am thinking using honey next time might work for me, but I am sure it is just personal preference!

Camille said...

It's great that you posted again ~ a good reminder. :) I remember reading your first post on treating ear infections and it really does work! I have used it more than once and it is fabulous! Ohhhh...my kids would really object if I put a clove of garlic in their oatmeal in the morning! HOW did you manage to sneak that in there??

Have a lovely week my friend!
Love,
Camille