Saturday, December 12, 2009

A WARNING FROM MATTHEW 7
If you begin to read this, please read to the end.


The Lord has had me in Matthew chapter 7 for some time now. The kids and I are studying through Matthew this year, and we just finished chapter 7. I have also recently been listening to some good teaching on this chapter. Evan has been studying here, and a recent YouTube video mentioned this passage as well that was sent our way. I love it when God does that because I know that He's really trying to speak to me when I get bombarded from so many directions.

In some ways, I hesitate to write this post, even though I'm not even sure where it's going to take me yet. I had a dream last night, however, and upon praying about it, had this laid on my heart pretty strongly. I am aware that people may call me judgemental for this, and that is okay. At the end of the day, even if the rest of the world is mad at me, if Christ is pleased, that's all that matters. And when I have a burning in my heart, knowing He has called me to speak forth truth that He has recently shown me, and I don't do it, I am disobeying. What He does with this truth in your hearts, is completely up to Him, and I praise Him for that. What He has done with this truth in my own heart is my responsibility, and I praise Him for the work he has done and pray He will contine to do in my own heart.


The section in Matthew that has been impressed on me as of late is chapter 7:13-23. I'm going to break it down.

Mat 7:13 "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
Mat 7:14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.


One thing that really struck me is that when I look at the context of this passage, Jesus is talking to those who call themselves believers. They are following Him around, listening to His teachings. The people on the wide and easy path are not only the ones we may see as being obvious "sinners" in this world, like the murderers, rapists, prostitutes, hollywood people, etc. He is talking to "church" people. There are few of those who call themselves believers that actually find the narrow gate and live the difficult way that leads to heaven. That is a scary thought.

Mat 7:15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
Mat 7:16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Mat 7:17
So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.
Mat 7:18
A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
Mat 7:19
Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.


From this passage, I see that we are to be purposeful about looking for fruits in all the teachers we listen to and in people who call themselves believers. I fear there are so many teachers out there today who are described in this passage. We are called to examine fruits. It's not hard to walk up to an apple tree and see that it's bursting forth with healthy apples and not rotten apples. It is the same for knowing other believers in general. Is there bountiful fruit, or diseased fruit? If their isn't good fruit, the whole tree will be thrown into the fire.


Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Mat 7:22
On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'
Mat 7:23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'


So, how do we know the difference between a true believer and one who just says it, but isn't? The question we are to ask is, does the person (do I?) do the will of my Father in heaven? People who do all sorts of works in the name of Christ will be turned away in heaven. So, I ask you, as I have asked myself and continue to ask myself, not only do I declare Christ, but does HE KNOW ME? Many people who pray a prayer look at that day as their salvation and hold soley to that for their assurance of salvation, but live their lives however they choose, not at all according to Scripture. They look no different than the rest of the world, except that they go to church on Sundays, and maybe pray before they eat and try to live a good life. That does not save a person, nor does it give proof of a person's salvation! When God truly does a regenerating work in a person's heart, there are fruits to show for it. Their desire is for their whole life to reflect Jesus. Their desire is to bring glory to Jesus in everything they do. Jesus will be precious to each and every believer. Believers show love to one another in all circumstances, even when there is disagreement among them. Believers keep His commandments and hate sin. They are greatly offended when the Lord's name is taken in vane. They cannot watch movies full of foul language and immorality because their own hearts won't allow them to do so. They hate the things of this world, and want nothing to do with it. A true believer holds all things in light of Scripture, and is willing to humble themselves and admit when something they previously believed does not line up with Scripture and turn from those beliefs. They crave knowing truth and study the Scriptures to find it. The things of this world will grow strangely dim, and a true believer is okay with that because this world is not our home. I have asked and will continue to ask myself these questions, and now I ask you. Is this true in your life, or are you at least heading in this direction? We are not instantly perfect at our salvation and all true believers are in the process of sanctification, but we definitely show that we are heading in the direction of pleasing Jesus and reflecting Him more every day. There is proof that the Holy Spirit is at work in our lives. Keep in mind, it is not these things that save us, but it is these things that give us assurance of our salvation. Heaven is at stake. As Nate says in the YouTube video above, Many people go to hell who NEVER thought they'd be there. I just don't want anyone who reads this to be one of them.

So, if you're not sure of your salvation, what do you do? Cry out to Him. Throw yourself onto Jesus and cling only to Him. Give Him your hopes and dreams, your passions and desires and lay them at the foot of the cross. That is what true surrender looks like. That is all we have to offer him. Repent and believe. Truly repent and continue repenting every day of your life. Believe, and continue to believe every day of your life. Cling to the Word of God and study it with your whole heart. Live every day doing the will of your Father in heaven.

12 comments:

Tandra said...

wow like I have been sitting here trying to write stuff... and i've rewritten this like five hundred times. So here we go... when i first started reading this i realized how much I do not bear good fruit lately... made me feel this sense of urgency to FIX myself... kept reading and the enemy kept telling me undeniable truths about myself. Made me feel as though i have "cried wolf" to God and do not deserve anymore chances to fall on my knees and make promises i know i cannot keep. Cause seriously... is that not the "Lord Lord" part.. how many times can we fall at His feet and cry out to Him to only make some emotional plea and make promises we are incapable of keeping? I almost felt mad after i read all that and thought everything I did. Not mad at you or God's Word... but mad at myself cause I don't even know if I am coming to GOd with a pure heart.. what if i am coming after Him just for the wonderful peace He offers.. am I just one of thsoe people who have only "tasted" His goodness (Hebrews 6)? What if i am? THen what's the purpose of falling at His feet. Ah! Light bulb! He is worthy! Which is another concept that frustrates me cause I dont understand the depth of that. Will I ever? Not in this life.. but i dont want to spend eteernity in Hell learning that! So then sets in the sense of needing to fix myself.. but then the last paragraph puts it all in perspective. "believe....believe... believe.... BELIEVE!" Salvation is the work of God. I cannot save or fix myself. so basically... God, I believe, just help my unbelief.. because when i see what I am.. it seems impossible you'd want me.

I dont even know if this makes sense. Oh well.. thanks for the space to try and figure things out.

Terri said...

Tandra,
Just because I wrote this does not mean I don't share your struggles. I do. I struggled immensely to post this b/c I had to do a huge heart check -- am I arrogant? Does it sound like I have all the answers? Because I most definitely do NOT, and God continues to work on my heart every day. His Word does have all the answers, however (and if you read the next post, that might help in that area...) I just had such a passion burning in my heart to share what God has been teaching me (and a little help and encouragement from my husband...). The last thing I want to do was look like I have it all figured out. I don't. But what I do do, is believe, repent and seek His face. We will fall. But as Paul Washer puts the whole fruit scenario -- Every apple tree will have some bruised fruit on it. But look at the crop as a whole -- is it bountiful or a failure? We can't come to God with a pure heart. It is He who even makes it possible to come to Him at all. We can't fix ourselves, but we can ask Him to change us. All we have to offer is complete surrender, and let Him do the work in us. We are called to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, and that is just what we are doing here together.

Php 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,
Php 2:13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Terri said...

One more thought, Tandra....As I read this post yet one more time... I realize and want to emphasize once more how so very far I am from this, it's scary. These things are truly my desire for my life, but I am not there, and it will take heaven to complete the work. Praise be to God that He is at work, though! Keep working, Oh Lord, for your promise is that You who began a good work will be faithful to complete it!

Tandra said...

What you wrote is AMAZING TRUTH! I am not all thinking or saying that you have it all together. I was am blessed by what i've read. I just convicted and challenge and just wrote what was kind of going through my head and trying to process it cause at first I read it so wrongly... and it was the enemy basically telling me "op, well you can't achieve this so you don't even deserve to try." Then the last paragraph I read.. there were other words i was reaing but the word "believe" but like as loud as a horn each time that word came along and GOd really spoke to me through it. Knowing that what enemy said is half true... i can't achieve anything Godly on my own.. thus purpose of GOd's grace! Thus the purpose of us needing to fall at His feet.. not to make promises to anything cause as I have learned i can't keep any of those.. but to simply just surrender it all... and it didn't take some emotional plea! GOd is so great! He is listening! After everything i considered last night I just talked to GOd about EVERYTHING that's been going through my head, even the things I know aren't true and are from the enemy.. and afterwards i just opened my Bible and happened to open to Mark 9.. and Oh my wow Terri! IT was EVERYTHING i needed to hear and everything related to what I was talking to God about! HE IS LISTENING! Hallelujah! I just need to believe God when He says what He says... thats my problem. I am always trying to please Him but I can't. Like you said... we can't fix ourselves or come before Him pure. Which takes a lot of the burden off ya know. Anyway! Long story short... I was blessed by your post and not for once second did i feel you "had it all together" but i know you are just as challenged as anyone else out there. I just kind of vented out my thoughts in an attempt to get things in the right place.

I love you! You're amazing! Like i said before not because you have it all together, but because you don't have it all together and you realize how desperate you are upon God and you're not afraid to be humble and admit that. It's beautiful and captivating.

Tandra said...

I know! ME too! that is why I am so... just... ARAGHH!! Is that VERY REASON! I desire sooooo deeply to be Godly and to know God and for Him to know me! Yet i am not there... but i also think of a post Karen once had on facebook about wanting God to make us wise and Godly but to hurry up and GOd was like "I am working on You in my perfect timing." It's just hard to wait sometimes cause I jsut want to be there! Which i know that's how you feel too! So in the mean time i just need to "believe" and allow God to do His perfect work in me instead of me trying to place some human efforts in. I need to believe Philippians 1:6 .

Terri said...

Thanks, Tandra. I'm so thankful for the work God is doing in both our lives. I can't wait to go read Mark 9!! :)

Terri said...

Some Scripture I've pondered since posting this...

1 Cor. 13:1-2 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or clanging cymbal... if I have not love, I am nothing.

1 Cor. 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

Mark 9:23 If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.

Camille said...

What a blessing to read this Terri ~ I appreciate you as a sister in the Lord.

He IS Faithful and HE will complete that work HE has begun in you...for HIS GLORY!! How amazing is that?

If you are able to, try to take time to meditate on Hebrews 12:1-3...it is ALL of HIM and NONE of us!! How wonderful to rest in that...we cannot bring anything to HIM but our broken lives. HE lives through us...how blessed we are. The fruit is HIS fruit...HE gets all the glory.

I am FAR from perfect...but our Saviour is PERFECT and we are dead...HE lives IN us...

I DO NOT have it all together either...in fact, the longer I am a Christian, the more I see my sin and wickedness...but the Lord Jesus Christ is so gentle in leading us along...like little lambs He cares for us...such a comforting thought!

The Devil would have us in bondage and believing lies...but we are to fill our minds with TRUTH...see Philippians 4:4-8.

May the Lord bless you today and in the coming days as you seek to be used by Him.

With Love,
Camille

Psalm 1 and 91

Terri said...

Thanks, Camille. I appreciate you so much, and promise to check out those Scriptures!!

Camille said...

Hi again Terri ~ during my devotions this morning I was also impressed with Romans chapter 8...this was a very precious chapter to our dear godly uncle who passed away 1 1/2 years ago...he was quoting it to the very end...so amazing to witness!! Great food for the soul.

Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Camille

Terri said...

Camille -- Your timing for sharing that is amazing! (Well, it's the Spirit, of course!) Evan and I chewed on that passage a while back, but it just now came alive to me in a new way. We were just having a conversation last night regarding life in the flesh and life in the spirit (Gal. 5:16-18) which I might write about more later. I have known Rom. 8:1 for some time, "There is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus", but that's usually where people stop quoting it! BUT, there is a comma there and then it says, "who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit." I could quote this whole chapter, but will give just a few more verses...

vs. 8 those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

vs. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

vs. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

That's why, it is the fruits that prove that we are walking in the Spirit and are actually "sons of God" (vs. 14).

One of the guys in the video I posted had an emphasis on "you must have a standard of holiness" This is exactly what he was talking about.

Those who are truly in Christ have the Spirit warring against the flesh, "so that we do not do the things that you wish" (being the things of the flesh!) The Spirit is fighting for us to live holy, and if we are led by the Spirit, we are not under the law.

I have no idea if that made any sense to you or anyone else that read it, but God made some things really come alive to me. Oh, how I love the Word of God!

Thanks, Camille. You are such a mentor to me! Blessings to you! :)

Camille said...

Dear Terri ~ I am so excited that the Lord is blessing His Word to your heart in such real and tangible ways...how wonderful HE IS!

Read on and meditate on Romans 8:26-30...but don't stop there...keep going and then focus on verses 37-39. The WORK in us is ALL OF THE LORD!!! How incredibly beautiful to realise that we are not the ones doing the "working" in us...HE is the ONE that justifies and glorifies us...we are HIS workmanship. God's WORD is so rich and deep...we will NEVER exhaust its reserves...how amazing our GREAT GOD IS!!

Have a wonderful week my friend!
With Love,
Camille