Friday, July 18, 2008

ADEN'S BIRTH STORY



God carried us through his delivery, and we are so thankful! He literally is my "sunshine behind the clouds" that I experienced over a year ago with our miscarriage. My mom kept telling me during that difficult time that "The sun is always shining behind the clouds!", and I knew she was right, but it seemed the sunshine was so far away for many many months.



I went to my doctor's appointment Wed., the 9th. I was dialated to 2, but had a very unsettled feeling in my spirit. I had been struggling for a few days prior, just very antsy, and I think it was more than just the "end of pregnancy/ready to be done" feeling. I told Evan I just wanted him out and to know that he was okay. I think his kidney issue had a part in my uneasiness as well.



I shared some of these thoughts with my doctor and she was on-call that day and would be off for the next week. So pretty much, if I wanted her to deliver, she would induce me that day, else I probably wouldn't have had her to deliver. She has been with me through 4 pregnancies now and knows me pretty well. Evan & I really thought about it and decided we just wanted Aden here. It solved the worry of whether or not I could make it to the hospital in Billings coming from home due to quicker deliveries, but I was still so nervous about this decision. Through the whole pregnancy I had planned to just go into labor naturally and let things happen as it did. I had been induced with Kiana for different reasons, and everything went well, but I had made my mind up not to go that route, so I wasn't sure why I gave in this time.



They hooked me up to the monitors in the birth center and I was having contractions 3 minutes apart already. I don't think they would have put me into labor that day, but my body was definitely starting to work. My blood pressure went from "very good" in the doctor's office to "Do you always have high blood pressure?" in the birth center. Things started happening very quickly. Around 4-5 pm, Aden's heartrate kept dropping with every contraction. This made me very nervous and I could tell was starting to alarm my nurse as well, though she never admitted it to me! :) I kept having Evan read me his heartrate so I knew where it was at. I was starting to worry they would call a c-section. Why couldn't I get past 8 cm??? I was frustrated. My doctor came in and said we need to get this baby out. She knew I really didn't want the recovery of a c-section, and I voiced it to her once again. So, at 8 cm, I started pushing. It was intense for about 15-20 minutes, but we made progress quickly and were able to deliver him safely. The cord was wrapped twice around his neck, which was the cause for the dropped heartrate. Had I not had my doctor that day, I am certain Aden's birth would have ended up in c-section due to the cord regardless of induction or not.



Meanwhile, my pastor had come by to visit before things got intense. He was outside my door the whole time praying! Thank God for faithful people, and I know there was more than him that day praying! I talked to him today and he told me he heard Aden's first cry upon coming into this world. I know God was in control the whole day -- from my doctor's appointment to a healthy birth. I think he knew we needed to have him here.



As far as his kidney issue, Aden is missing his right kidney, but his left one is functioning perfectly normal. A person only needs 1/3 of a kidney to survive, so Aden has more than he needs! No surgery is needed, praise God!

He is eating, pooping and sleeping like every newborn. He is already 8 lbs. 14 oz. at 13 days old, so he is growing good. We are so thankful and blessed to have another little person in our home. God is so good!

4 comments:

jules said...

It's great to hear your/his story. No epidural then?? You are one strong lady. Hope to see you all soon! Love, Julie

Terri said...

Yes, did I leave that out??? :) Induction pretty much equals epidural in my opinion! I hit some pretty hard labor before I asked for it which was a mistake b/c I had to wait for the lady to get out of a surgery!

Lindsey said...

Congratulations Terri! I'm so excited for you and your family! I'm glad that everything is fine with Aden's remaining kidney and he's healthy. I can't wait for this baby to get here, I look at your pictures and think "I want to snuggle my baby!" Just 16 more weeks to go and I know they will go fast! Love you guys!

Terri said...

Thanks Lindsey! 16 weeks will fly by! Your baby will be in your arms before you know it! Enjoy the last little bit of being pregnant.