Friday, September 28, 2007

RANDOM THOUGHTS...


I never regretted titling this blog the way I did, because sometimes it's nice just to sit and write without any real ideas behind it. Sometimes it's nice to just write my thoughts for the moment.... thus, here are "Today's thoughts..."

Life is so busy right now, I feel like having a single moment to hold onto for myself is very rare these days, and then I even feel selfish for desiring such a thing. I'm looking forward to next weekend when we are taking our 3rd annual trip to visit friends in White Sulphur Springs. While there, Evan and Jeremy will get out for some elk hunting, and Marissa & I (alone w/ no kids!) get to go to Bozeman for the day on Saturday to enjoy a fall flea market, which I hear is incredible. I'm pretty excited for that day! Just getting out will be very nice, and the trip is always beautiful this time of year.

***************************

For you parents out there, do you ever feel like you hold grudges against your kids when they constantly disobey for a season? Somedays it seems like all I do is discipline, and then when they are having a good time laughing, I find it hard to join in on the fun b/c in my heart I'm holding a grudge. I know how important it is to combine joy with discipline when it comes to training our children. Why do I struggle sometimes with that? One thing God showed me about a week ago, is that I often have been blaming my kids for my own sinful heart. If I get angry or upset, I'll think to myself, "Well, I have the right to be angry b/c if they wouldn't have disobeyed for the umteenth time, I wouldn't get angry!" God gently, but strongly, told me I have an issue to deal with, and that regardless of my kids' behavior, I need to obey him. It then is as much MY issue as it is theirs! Whether or not I even express my anger, it's wrong in these circumstances. He's working on my heart just as much as He's working on their hearts. Thank you, God, for not giving up on me, and for your grace that comes daily!

****************************

Amidst the busyness of remodeling and trying to get our house winterized (we were up till midnight a couple nights ago blowing insulation in the attic!), we are taking some time to have fun. Last night, the three kids spent about an hour with the pigs. I think Myah should become a professional pig rider -- she's pretty good at it. Evan & I spent some time on the horses in the small riding corral we have. We were both riding bare back (I'm trying to work on my balance, and bareback is the best way to do that!) -- I on pokey Noodles and Evan on Rio. Rio is the opposite end of the spectrum from Noodles. Noodles would be happy walking his life away, while Rio wants to GO! Evan had him just flying through the fields the other night! :) The instant you get on him, he gets all dancy b/c he wants to go. The best way to learn about horses is to dive in and get some. Evan has amazed me with how much he's learned just from reading, watching videos and just working with them. They have kept us busy, but it's been really fun, and we are thankful God has allowed us to have this experience. They are a nice relief from the stress of the work of the house.

*****************************

I leave you with this quote that inspires me. I'm not even sure where I got it..

"A wise woman sets a joyful mood in her home. Through laughter, music and happy times, she creates a positive attitude in her children. She knows that a lighthearted home relieves her husband (and everyone in the home) of stress."

There you have it, my random thoughts for the moment.


1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Hi Terri, I understand what you're saying about kids. Even though I don't have any of my own, I'm in a classroom with them 6-7 hours a day. It is so easy to hold onto those unpleasant feelings. Wiping the slate clean can be a hard thing to do. I'm looping this year and I was really concerned about starting off with a bad attitude b/c of struggles from last year. It is amazing how a few months away made a difference (I know you don't have that option though :) Hopefully you'll be able to get some of that fresheness when you go visit your friends. I'll keep you in my prayers. Whenever I get to that point with one of my students I'll say a prayer for you too :)

p.s here is that tadpole website.. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/metimage.htm