THE SUN CAME OUT!
I took Joel to his speech therapy today. He's been going regularly for quite some time now, and is doing very well. He has what they call a "phonological speech delay", which is better than "appraxia", which they first thought. I walked him in and his therapist had this weird look on her face today and said she had to talk. Turns out, she's moving. This was very frustrating to me because she's our 3rd therapist for the little guy and he REALLY connected with her. They were way past the point of getting to know each other and were at the point of really digging in for some quality therapy. It takes a lot of time to get to that point, especially for Joel. She actually got quite teary in the conversation and said she feels so bad for the kids, but had to make this move.
My emotions kind of went all over. I was frustrated, sad and very disappointed. We just received some grant money to cover all our expenses for his therapy, which has been a huge blessing. I just couldn't understand why we had to go through finding another therapist for him AGAIN!
On my way home I called my mom, and that's when she told me, "There's always sunshine behind the clouds!"
When I got home, I started to make some phone calls to other therapist who formerly had massive long waiting lists. Joel had been on them at one point, and it took months for them to finally call and say they could take him, so I didn't have much hope. By that point, we had started working with Caryn. Anyway, the sun came through quicker than I expected, and we got a call from a therapist who had a spot open! Praise God! If you think of it, just pray for Joel and that he will be able to adjust well and quickly to someone new again so that the progress he has been making can continue. Thanks!
2 comments:
Hi Terri,
Sarah is going through the same thing with Ethan's speech therapists. Ethan had a great one named Amy who he ADORED and really did a great job for, but she also had to move away. This was devastating! And after 2 more therapists, Sarah just got word that Ethan's current therapist is going to a different job. I know it's frustrating! But hang in there. We are seeing so much progress with Ethan. He is 4 years old and still doesn't volunteer much conversation, but he is doing SO much better when he needs to request something or when he's expressing affection. And he learned his alphabet, so everywhere he looks, he's pointing out letters!!! We know that active speech and then reading are not far behind. Praise the Lord! Just take comfort in the knowledge that Joel, like Ethan, is in God's hands and these litte details do not escape His attention. It's all being worked out for Joel's good.
Becky
Thanks for the encouragement, Becky. :) We'll keep plugging along and trusting the Lord to take care of the details!
Post a Comment