Tuesday, May 09, 2006

PRAYER TIME

It seems I have slid a bit backwards in this area of my life. It's so easy to be focused when I'm in the middle of a challenging Bible Study, but as soon as we finished our last Beth Moore study as a group, I sort of let things go a bit. After some time on my knees asking the Lord's forgiveness and help to get back on track where He wants me to be, I feel revitalized! It's such a daily commitment, and I don't doubt that God allows some rest periods where we aren't so in depth in our study time, but I'm feeling called back to that place once again.

I'm not sure if I shared with you about my prayer cards or not, but I'm wanting to start posting some weekly prayers in my sidebar that I use to pray for my family. I have a flip-card system, held together by a key-ring type clasp. For weeks and weeks I prayed for God to teach me to pray. I still pray this prayer because I know I will never learn all there is about prayer, but one thing He led me to is this flip-card system. It includes different sections: Repentance, Personal, Family, Evan, Children, Extended Family, Other People(this section includes people who don't know Jesus that we are praying will come to know Him), etc. I also hope to add sections according to what I feel God is teaching me at the moment. I had one called "Believing God" when I was in the middle of that Bible study, and now I'm creating a section called "Serving". I also hope to keep adding more and more prayers to the sections that are already existing. I have little tabs on the ends of them that make them easy to find each particular section. The prayers in each section are mostly taken from Scripture and turned into prayers. I also have taken portions from other resources such as Stormie O'Martian's "Power of a Praying Parent, Wife & Woman" series. My grandma also sent me some flip cards called "The Keys to the Kingdom" which had different prayers on them for a husband and children. I'm slowly learning there is nothing more powerful in this world than prayer. We do not have time NOT to pray!

I hope that by taking the time to post these, that you may find them somewhat helpful in your own prayer life. Change the names of my family members to the names of your family members. I encourage you to start your own flip-card prayer system. It has changed my prayer life! Now when I tell someone I will pray for them, they get added to my cards, and I don't forget to do it. For some reason a journal just didn't work as well for me.

I leave you with this challenge today, which is just as much for me as it is to you. Take at least 15 minutes of the 24 hours God has given you in each day to lift your family up in prayer. (It's amazing how fast that time will go once you get started!)Get on your knees before our Savior and lay the most precious possessions God has given you in His hands. There is nothing in this world that could possibly be a better gift than time spent in prayer for our loved ones. It WILL change their lives...and ours!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Terri, thank you so much for the encouragement! This morning at our ladies bible study, a woman shared how she had index cards around the house to help her memorize the Word. I thought that was such a good idea and I love your idea too. One thing is for sure, I need visual reminders around so that it is in my face and my busy life is halted to do the most important job there is. Worship and prayer are easily forgotten in the day to day tasks!