Wednesday, January 11, 2012

FEEDING ON JESUS


I have been meditating on some Scriptures for several weeks now.  This all started when my Bible reading plan took me through the book of John.  Several Scriptures popped off the page at me the day we read chapters 5-6, but this verse in particular has stuck with me:  


"He who feeds on Me will live because of Me."  John 6:57


Prior to this particular day of reading, I had been pondering the words "believe" and "abide" and how so connected they are.  Eternal life is found only in Christ.  Along with repentance, we must "believe on Him" and we are saved, but what does that mean? Coming to Him and feeding demonstrates that we truly do believe in Him.  Many people say they believe in Jesus, but have very little to do with "feeding on Him". I fear for them.


Think of it this way.  To physically keep my strength up, I must eat food several times a day.  The food is my nourishment and gives me physical strength to function.  Our spiritual life is the same.  We need to "feed on" Jesus.  He is our source of strength!  Feeding on Him is even more important than eating physical food!  If I neglect this, I am spiritually weak.  Think of John 15, abiding in the vine. If we are connected to the vine, we are getting our nourishment.  If we are not, we will be cut off.  


Are you spiritually feeding your soul?   As John 6:68 says, "You (referring to Jesus) have the words of eternal life."  If we are not filling ourselves with His words, we will not understand the truth about eternal life. 


I think it was Spurgeon who once said, "We are never more alive than when we are dead at His feet."


Feeding on Him, is the only way to truly be full.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Amen my friend. Thank you for sharing Truth.

Love,
Camille