Saturday, January 07, 2012

FOR YOUNG WOMEN WHO DREAM TO MARRY AND STAY HOME...


Today as I was hanging off a ladder painting, I was processing some things from a conversation I had with a friend today.  (And yes, I know I haven't finished my last series of blog posts, and I've been gone a REALLY long time, so there's probably not many people reading this anymore, let alone young ladies.... but that's okay, this was on my heart....)  A friend of mine mentioned that someone younger than her was struggling. As a young woman, she really didn't have any dreams of going to college, because her only REAL dream was to be happily married and have a family. She's kind of feeling stuck, and not sure what step to take next, as God hasn't yet put her husband in her path. People were encouraging her to go to college because, "you never really know WHEN you'll get married anyway..." I don't totally disagree, but...


These are my thoughts...


So, this is for any young woman out there, who desires to to be a godly wife and a stay-at-home mom, and are patiently waiting.  Spend this time preparing yourself.  No matter what profession a person is going into -- doctors, nurses, teachers, lawyers, etc., each one of them spends years preparing for that job.  Why is it any different with being a wife and a mom?  


First of all, pursue your relationship with Jesus.  He needs to be EVERYTHING to you.  He is your Savior, He is your source.  Even after you are married, He will need to be first.  Remember, your main goal in life should not be to get married, it should be to glorify God in all things.  Spend as much time studying the Word and praying as you possibly can.  Put this above all else in your life. Cling to Him & pursue holiness.  Someday you will have toddlers running around your feet, and babies to nurse.  You will be begging for time to just open your Bible, but it will be difficult because you will be exhausted!  Take advantage of this season of your life.  You will not regret it!


Secondly, pray.  Specifically, pray for your future husband.  Pray for him to hunger and thirst for righteousness, to flee temptations, to cling to Jesus.  Pray for him to have wisdom and to grow in the knowledge of the Lord.  Pray for him to hear from the Lord.  Pray Scripture over him.  Pray that you will be the wife God wants you to be.  Pray for him, and start now!


Thirdly, sacrifice.  It's very easy to be selfish during this stage of your life.  Pursuing your desires, outward beauty, fashion trends, etc.  Do not compromise with the world.  If you are a child of the King, you are called to live differently.  Pray about how you should dress & how you should spend your time.  Pursue righteousness in all things, and don't waste so much time on things that are fleeting.  


Fourth, find godly women and cling to them.   For a season, I had an amazing young 20something live with us 2 nights a week.  She lived life with me.  She learned what life was like for a family with 4 children -- a lot of work.  She helped with the children, folded dozens of baskets of laundry, mopped my floors, learned some new things in the kitchen, even learned how to butcher a pig! Through the daily grind of life, we talked about the Lord.  We talked about marriage, disciplining children, whatever we read in Scripture that day, etc.  Not only do I hope she walked away with some helpful hints about what she hopes to do someday, but I was so overly blessed by her! She built relationships with my children that I hope will be forever.  Maybe someday my girls can be to her what she was to me!


Now, in the midst of this, if God calls you to college, then go! I have a degree in education.  I'm not opposed to college, but don't just go to pass the time if God isn't calling you to that.  Use your time preparing yourself to be what God is calling you to be.  Be patient for HIS timing, and go bless some exhausted mom by doing her laundry.  She will be grateful... and you will be preparing yourself with hands on experience for your dream!

2 comments:

Camille said...

Well Terri...I am NOT young. And I am NOT single. And I DO have four children. BUT...this post blessed my heart. Thank you for sharing yours. I am so glad we are friends. :)

MUCH Love to you!
Camille

Terri said...

Thanks, Camille. :) Love to you, too!