Abiding In The Word of God
The passage of Scripture I read tonight was 1 John 1-5.
It was the scheduled reading in the new program I started.
It is also ironically, the new book we have started at the shelter, and also the book I have encouraged several people to dive into this week.
I LOVE how God works!
My journaling tonight from that book led me to this thought:
Abiding in the Word --> Keeping His commands --> Assurance of salvation!
Where does it ALL begin? Abiding in the Word!
Not only does the book of 1 John give us the tests of assurance of salvation,
but as believers, it also gives us the key to living it out!
We cannot begin to walk in obedience without the strength that comes from God. We get that strength from reading/studying/meditating on/ABIDING in the Word of God.
If His Word is constantly on the forefronts of our minds,
it will be so much easier to walk in obedience!
(Not to mention it tells us what we need to be obedient to!)
I believe this is the ultimate test of assurance of salvation:
Are we abiding in the Word of God?
I'm not saying we aren't saved if we are not (I cannot judge that! That is between you and God!), I'm just saying it can give us a greater confidence of our salvation if we are!
If we are abiding in the Word of God, we will then be able to do all of the other things John lays out for us as the tests of our assurance:
1) Are we walking in the light? (1 John 1:5-7)
2) Are we sensitive to sin? (1:8-10)
3) Are we keeping His commandments? (2:3-6)
4) Do we love the brethren? (2:9)
5) Do we love the things of this world? We shouldn't! (2:15-17)
John 8:31-32 also speaks of this:
"If you abide in my Word, you are my disciples indeed.
And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
If we are abiding in His Word, we can be assured that we are His disciples. Knowing the truth, will help us to walk free! Free of our sin! Free of our guilt!
It all starts with abiding in the Word of God.
Lord, help me to be faithful....
There is nothing more important!
I leave you with a quote to ponder...
"This book will keep you from sin, and sin will keep you from this book!"
Good night, my friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment