Monday, August 31, 2009


A HANDFUL OF MY FAVORITE HOMESCHOOL THINGS




I have had this book for a couple years now and have used it on and off. I picked it back up again this year and am once again amazed at the wealth of information in it. I have been trying to do a character lesson with my kids right after lunch once or twice a week, once the two youngest are down for naps. This past week, we talked about how God hates unkind speech. We made a list of what unkind speech looks like, looked up several of the verses given that talk about what God thinks of it, and today we looked up verses of the blessings that come when we resist the urge to use it. We made "apples of gold" badges, to be given out when I see someone using kind speech. I can honestly say, I have already seen a change in my children in this area. One in particular has been fighting the urge to talk back to me, something we have been really starting to struggle with (that was one of the things on our list!) and I can see improvement! Praise God! :)


Abacus



We were given one of these for a gift a few years back, and it has been used ever since. Math manipulatives are the best things ever invented. My only complaint is that sometimes they become dependent on them!







Wildmath.com has been a good website that we have used frequently this year already. Myah and Joel have to spend 10 minutes a day doing drills on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. This website enables them to do it on their own and at their own level. It corrects their work and times how long it takes them to do it. Though it really isn't anything fancy, it does the job, and I've not heard any complaints from either of them. They just set their own timer and go!



My Father's World curriculum.
I have used this curriculum for 3 years in a row now, and LOVE it. Joel went through Kindergarten and First grade using it and I'm thrilled with where he's at, especially his reading level. He is now joining Myah in the 5 year cycle program that they have, so except for Math and Language Arts, I am teaching them the same thing. Kiana is starting Kindergarten with this program this year. Myah and Joel are taking a "trip around the world "this year visiting many different countries and cultures. Their first task was to apply for a passport. There is a lot of geography in our stuff this year, and the kids are having fun with it. I love how it ties a study of missionaries from the region in as well. This program has fit our family well, and a proceed of what we pay for it goes to help Bible translators.

2 comments:

jules said...

Terri, do you think that the first book you mentioned about teaching Righteousness would work well for our family night we do once/week?? It sounds like it from what you describe. Basically on family night we do a lesson from the Bible or teach a biblical characteristic, etc. Along with the teaching we do some sort of fitting activity to nail down the point. We spend anywhere from 1/2 an hour to 1 1/2 hours. I have just found it a little difficult to find material to use and I'm not real creative. I will need to see if I can find it on Amazon.com Thanks for sharing

Terri said...

Julie:: If I didn't answer your question enough on fb, let me know... :)