RECIPE TIME!
I've been trying some new recipes out again, and wanted to share just a few. Though I don't have time to put them all on here right now, hopefully I will get around to it again soon. Enjoy!
____________________________________________
Make your own buttermilk...
I have often made my own buttermilk by adding vinegar to milk, but I have found a much better alternative. Purchase a small amount of store-bought buttermilk, and you will never again have to buy it again. Pour 1/2 cup of the store-bought buttermilk into a quart canning jar. Fill the rest up with regualr pasteruized milk. Mix well, cover and let set on the counter for 24 hours and you have your own buttermilk. (Store in refrigerator after the 24 hours.) Repeat the process using 1/2 cup of the "homemade" buttermilk, and you will always have some on hand when you need it. Makes those pancakes or muffins super yummy, and you will never again have to purchase any!
I have often made my own buttermilk by adding vinegar to milk, but I have found a much better alternative. Purchase a small amount of store-bought buttermilk, and you will never again have to buy it again. Pour 1/2 cup of the store-bought buttermilk into a quart canning jar. Fill the rest up with regualr pasteruized milk. Mix well, cover and let set on the counter for 24 hours and you have your own buttermilk. (Store in refrigerator after the 24 hours.) Repeat the process using 1/2 cup of the "homemade" buttermilk, and you will always have some on hand when you need it. Makes those pancakes or muffins super yummy, and you will never again have to purchase any!
____________________________________________
CHICKEN 'N DUMPLINGS
(Taken from "Hopkins' Healthy Home Cooking")
I have always wanted to make these, but never found a recipe that I wanted to try...until now. These were super easy and VERY yummy!
1 whole chicken
Put in large pot with lid. Cover chicken with water, and simmer until meat is tender. Remove chicken from pot and add to broth:
4-6 potatoes, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1/4 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 cup frozen peas
Simmer until veggies are tender. Then add chopped chicken meat. Mix 1/2 cup flour into 1 cup water until smooth. Stir into boiling broth and simmer until thickened.
Egg Dumplings:
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Stir together until moistened. Drop by spoonfuls onto boiling soup. Cover pot and do not raise lid for 10 minutes. They will steam inside and be just perfect!
No comments:
Post a Comment