Friday, August 24, 2007

"PARENTING IN THE PEW"
by Robbie Castleman

I recently started reading this book, and it has really sucked me in. Our children have their own time of worship at our church with the kids, but I've been starting to think more and more about my role of really teaching them to worship with us. My mom gave me this book a while back, and it's one that has sat on the shelf until "just the right moment" as I see it. (I have many books that have done that, and somehow they find their way into my hands with perfect timing.)

Though this book is quite different from our own circumstances, I have been able to pull many quality things out of it. For starters, I have come to a conclusion that it is completely our role to really teach our children about true worship, and not just allow Sunday School to fill in this gap. I'm thankful for our Thursday night Bible studies. Those evenings allow our kids to experience, observe and participate in worship with adults, and I am beginning to mull things over in my head about how/when to have our kids participate in our worship at church as well. Don't get me wrong... our Sunday School teachers do a fabulous job of teaching our kids about God's Word and also worship. I'm just starting to see that it isn't 100% their job, but ours as well.

A quote which defines worship...

"Worship is not a refueling to get us through another week. Worship is not a system of traditions built up over many years of congregational life until everyone feels comfortable. Worship is not a time to unwind, relax, tune out or take a mental vacation. Worship is not an hour of Christian entertainment. It is not what makes us good people, faithful Christians or successful parents. Worship is the surrender of our souls to a God who is jealous for our attention, time and love. Worship is a challenge...we need to work at our worship" (Castleman 24-25).

2 comments:

Mandi said...

This is excellent Terri! I have been pondering the same ideas! I am also wondering if we should be learning as a family as well - my oldest could definitely take some notes from our pastor's sermons - and we could discuss it at home after church where I could clarify the things they did not understand. I just can't do this if we are all off in different places during the sermon. Anyways - just some things I am pondering. ( :

Warmly,
Mandi

Terri said...

Funny how God is working on the same things in our hearts. Let me know what you end up doing in your family. I'm still in thinking mode at this point.