Monday, February 19, 2007

VALLEYS & MOUNTAINTOPS

One of the things I love most about living in Montana is the beauty that surrounds us here. Evan & I are always making comments on how amazing the views are, and we aren’t even in western Montana, where the mountains are much bigger. We live near some smaller mountains, and are surrounded by prairies. Guess you could say, we live in the valley. Even before we moved out here, mountains always stirred something in me. There’s just something about them being one of God’s ways to display his beauty and majesty. Evan & I have always wanted to move further west, to be more in the mountains. Only recently have we been realizing how much we have fallen in love with the valley.

I’ve sort of seen myself in a "valley" for over a month now. It’s not just the miscarriage, but that has definitely been a huge part of it. It just seems difficult for me to make good decisions, to maintain control of my attitude and to see life in a positive light lately. Parenting decisions and homeschooling are definitely towards the top of my frustrations. I feel like everything has been an uphill battle this past month, and it's been a painful hike uphill. I know and recognize I’m still dealing with emotions from our loss, but I also am recognizing that God is wanting to teach me huge things through this valley. I just hope I’m a fast learner, so I can learn these things as quickly as possible.

I absolutely love the lyrics to a song by Third Day…. "You must go through the valley to stand upon the mountaintop of God." I love the mountaintops of life, but I am also learning to make the most of the valleys. They can be a beautiful sight as well, as is often very physically visible to us living here. It all depends on opening ones eyes to see the surrounding area and having an attitude of gratitude -- seeing the valleys as a learning opportunity to become closer to God. Also, if you’ve ever tried to climb a mountain of any sort physically, you know how difficult the task is, but it is ALWAYS worth the pain once you reach the top! And on the otherside of that mountaintop is another valley! :)

1 comment:

val said...

hey terri,

thanks for being honest about where you're at.

funny, i was just thinking about a mountain/valley experience we had in australia a day or two before reading your post. we were taking a long drive through the most hilly, winding road i think i have ever experienced. it was easy to lose our bearing and sense of direction... until we came out on top at one point and could see for miles. i remember likening that to what life can feel like sometimes. there's usually more valley time than mountaintop time, but the moments on the mountaintop can help bring clarity and hope for the rest of the journey. and like you said, what a gift if we can learn not to despise the valley time, but to embrace it as a different kind of good. (easier said than done, i know.)