Thursday, August 12, 2010

PRAY.

Realizing the battle is stronger than we will ever comprehend.  Realizing that we have no strength on our own to make a difference in people's lives.  Realizing that nothing can change without the strength and power of our God, who greater, who is stronger, and who is higher than any other.  If Our God is for us, than nothing can stop us.  He turned water into wine.  He opened eyes of the blind.  He is the only light that can shine in the darkness, and the only One who can bring us out of the ashes.  There is none like Him, and we can do nothing without Him.  So, we must pray.

We finished James up in our women's study last night with a challenge to deeper prayer for others.  Nothing will change in this broken world -- nothing can change in these broken lives without the power of our great God.  The enemy is strong, but our God is greater.  He wants to heal.  We are called to pray. 

Just as in the end of James, where we see the elders of the church restoring a sinner through prayer, and Elijah is restoring the backslidden nation of Israel through prayer, so are we called in verses 19-20 to do the same for those who have "wandered from the truth".... through prayer.  It takes prayer.

These Scriptures show us the picture of confession, prayer and healing taking place.  What helps a person?  God.  What does James say in 4:2?  We have not because we ask not.  We need to interceed for people to be restored in their walk with Him and for sinners to come to Him.  We need to ask.  If we don't, who will?

As a wise man once said, "Busyness is not OF the devil, it IS the devil."  We make time for so many things in this life that are fleeting, and yet we make so very little time for prayer.  As I'm writing, I'm speaking to myself just as much as anyone else.  It's going to take discipline, and most likely a rearranging of our current daily schedules to fit in more time for prayer.  My heart's cry has been, "Lord break my heart for others that I may be so drawn to prayer for them, and not just out of a "duty" or "guilt" to do it."  We will not succeed in this task if it is only done for those reasons, and I believe only God can instill a passion in our hearts to do it.... so ask Him.  What greater pleasure can we have than to see hurting sinners come to the mercy and grace of Jesus Christ.  It can only be done through prayer.  Please, pray, keeping in mind, that it's only because our God greater... our God is stronger... our God is higher than any other.

6 comments:

Camille said...

Thank you for sharing your heart on this Terri! Prayer is powerful because we are praying to the ALL POWERFUL and only true God! I *love* the book of James...so full of convicting thoughts...might we be faithful to LIVE it out! :)

Blessings to you!
Camille

P.S. Prayer must be the theme for this weekend...I posted about my Dad's "praying hands" drawing and linked to an article on prayer. :)

Elizabeth said...

That's awesome! Thank you for that. Major conviction. I'm so bad about praying. like super bad. I wonder how much of life would be different, my own life, and others, if I would pray? Because I don't really, except for at church and Bible study, or whatever. Sometimes in my head a little. But I don't sit down and make time to pray. Though I have a long list of people to pray for. And answered prayer always increases my faith soo much!

Camille said...

Just hopped back over...Terri ~ I hope you don't mind me giving a thought to your other commenter.

Elizabeth ~ Something I came across that has been so liberating in praying for others is keeping a "prayer basket".

Basically you put little slips of paper with people's names and requests on them in the "basket" and you pull out one at a time and pray. You could pull out names once a day, or at each meal, etc...

When that item has been prayed for you put the paper in a holding location where the "prayed for requests" wait until all in the basket have been prayed for. I hope this makes sense.

This way, every time you say you will pray for someone/something, it goes into the basket and it WILL be systematically prayed for! We *love* doing this in our home with our children.

Blessings,
Camille

Terri said...

Camille -- I don't mind at all!! :) We have done that in the past as well, and need to get back in the habit. Thanks for the reminder!!

Elizabeth -- start with baby steps. Camille's idea is great! Thanks again for all your help today!! We appreciate it so much, and just love your servant's heart! Bless you!!

Bethany Osborn said...

I needed to read this today. Thank you. I love you that you used the verse "you have not becuase you ask not" In regard to praying for the lost. So many times, I hear people use this verse when they want more 'stuff'.
Thank you!
Bethany

Terri said...

You're welcome, Bethany. I think that we should meet in person some day, even before heaven! Your mom arrives here tomorrow. I can't wait! :)