THE IMPORTANCE OF SOUND DOCTRINE AND OUR CALL TO KNOW IT AND OBEY IT
A few weeks back, I had a conversation with a friend regarding this topic of doctrine. We discussed whether or not doctrine was important because so often it divides believers. I decided to look and see what Scripture had to say about doctrine, and was blown away.
My study started as I was reading through some Proverbs. This verse stood out to me:
Proverbs 4:2 "For I give you good doctrine; do not forsake my law."
If God gives us GOOD doctrine, and we are not to forsake it, He must then enable us to understand what that good doctrine is. God never asks us to do anything He will not enable us to do. Therefore, my conclusion from this verse alone is that God has given us sound doctrine, and we are to know what that doctrine is because He has called us not to forsake it. I might even be so bold as to add that true, God-fearing, Scripture-studying believers, will not vary much on their doctrine. A big part of that, however, is to remain teachable to true doctrine. God is growing each of us, and I want truth, even if that means I must trade in something I always believed if it does not line up with Scripture.
Maybe it would be wise to define the term "Doctrine" before I go any further. According to Strong's it is defined as "the function or the information; instruction, learning, teaching."
So if we are to KNOW this sound doctrine, where do we get it?
I'm going to break this verse up just a bit.
2 Tim. 3:16
"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine...."
So often we focus on the rest of that verse "for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..." which is also amazing. But let's not leave out that little word "doctrine".
But, Scripture is given to us for doctrine. We are not to listen to the latest teacher to get our doctrine. We are not to follow the newest fad or read the latest books. We are to study the Scriptures. When we do this, as verse 17 says, "We will be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."
Having sound doctrine from the Scripture is part of what completes us as believers and equips us. Without it, we are unequipped.
Why are we not to listen to man to receive doctrine without holding their teaching up to Scripture?
2 Timothy 4:3-5a "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers, and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you, be watchful in all things....."
It breaks my heart when people don't want to hear truth from the Word of God. We need to be watchful, and more than that, when we see people following false doctrine, or slipping in that direction, according to Scripture, we are to "exhort" them and "convict" them. This is not always the best way to make friends, but that is not what we are called to do. We are called to speak truth, in love.
Titus 1:9 "...holding fast to the faithful Word as he has been taught, that he may be able, BY SOUND DOCTRINE, both to exhort and convict those who contradict."
We are called to give attention to sound doctrine.
1 Timothy 4:13 "Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, TO DOCTRINE."
We give attention to so many things. How much attention are we giving to knowing and understanding sound doctrine? It is not something we are to just brush under the rug and say we'll never agree, so let's forget about it. We are called to it. They key then is SOUND doctrine... only found from laboring and studying the Scriptures. This takes effort!! It does not come easily, but it is something we are called to do.
I leave you with a strict warning from 2 John regarding false doctrine.
2 John 9-10 "Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ, does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds."
1 comment:
Oh Terri! What a WONDERFUL post!! How TRUE it is...doctrine is SO important! Thank you for always focusing our eyes on the LORD...you are a blessing to me.
Would you mind if I sent you Spurgeon's "Morning and Evening" and a very encouraging homeschool book..."When You Rise Up" by R.C. Sproul Jr.? I know they both will be a great blessing to you.
With Love,
Camille
Post a Comment