Tuesday, April 06, 2010

LADIES BIBLE STUDY

For 3 weeks now, we have been studying the book of 1 John. I wish I would have been posting all along and writing about what we've been learning. Some days I just have so many things running through my head, that I'm not even sure how to process it all, let alone put it into words on here. I feel that way now, but I'm still going to try. :)

Last week, we talked in depth about assurance of salvation, which is one of the main purposes John wrote 1 John. (1 John 5:13: These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life...) Assurance of salvation comes from looking at our lives right now and examining ourselves and testing ourselves to see that we are actually in the faith (2 Cor. 13:5). Make your calling and election sure (2 Peter 1:10).
This week, we are going to cover 2:12-29.

There is so much I could write about, but to narrow it down, I'm going to talk about 2 warnings given to believers in this section of Scripture. 1) The World 2) False Doctrines. We will see that our attacks against both these things is THE WORD OF GOD!! Not books written about the Word of God, or someone's opinion of what the Word of God says, or different gospels that people claim still coincide with the Word of God (but don't), but the Word of God. Period.

The "world" refers to any sphere which Jesus is not loved and welcomed. We are not to love these things. I love in verse 13, where it talks about the young men being strong, and they have the Word of God abiding in them, which is enabling them to overcome the wicked one -- who we know often pulls us towards himself through the love of the world. Verse 14 emphasizes the importance of constantly feeding on the Bible and having it ready to repel the attacks of Satan. "Abide" means to stay, dwell, tarry, remain, endure, stand in... We are to do these things in the Word of God.

How do we ABIDE in the Word of God? Spend time in it personally -- lots of time. Lisen to godly teachers on it (using the anointing talked about later in this chapter from the Holy Spirit to guide us). Fellowshipping with other believers about it. Chewing on it. Meditating on it. (Ps1:2, 119:15) The word meditate in these verses in the Hebrew gives us a picture of "verbalizing" it. Conversing about it -- pray it, speak it, talk it, etc. I think often of a cow chewing it's cud. It goes down, and comes back up. He spends time chewing it. It goes down, it comes back up... chewing some more... that's what we need to do with the Word of God -- chew on it all day long.

The Word of God is also what will protect us against John's second warning here -- False teachings. They are EVERYWHERE. All around us. And it shouldn't surpise us, because we are told they will only increase the closer we get to the coming of Christ. These false teachers in this passage were professing Christians who once associated with the apostles, however, they were not truly one with believers. Proof of this is that they went out of fellowship with true believers (vs19). The sad thing is, this is exactly what is happening today.

"If a man has truly been born again, he will go on for the Lord. We are not saved by enduring to the end, but rather those that endure to the end are really saved" (BBC).

So, how can believers discern truth from error? According to vs.20, we have an anointing from the Holy One. The Holy Spirit enables a believer to discern truth from lies. An example. I have a friend who was in a circle where things were being taught that didn't line up with Scripture. Being new to the faith, she didn't dare question them, but she had a check in her spirit. She went home, and was a Berean, and searched and searched the Scriptures and couldn't find what they were teaching her. The Holy Spirit gave her a check, she went home and searched. God gave her discernment. She later came to me and said, "Where is this in Scripture? I can't find it anywhere!!"

"With the Word of God in our hands, and the Spirit of God in our hearts, we have all that we need for instruction in the truth of God" (BBC).

The ONLY book we need is the Word of God. Not that all books are bad, but there is just so much out there that is wrong, I would much rather stick with the one book that I know to be true. We can spend a lifetime studying it, and never understand all that God has to speak to us through it. I'm so frustrated with how the "Christian" "help books" or "different gospels" are pulling people away from the one source where people will find truth and help -- the Word of God.

I exhort you... pray for discernment. Study the Word of God. There are people out there waiting to tickle your ears, and we are commanded to "be watchful in all things" and yes, we will have to "endure afflictions." If we aren't watchful for it, it will be much easier for us to fall prey to it.

This barely scratches the surface of what is tucked away in this wonderful Scripture God has given us, but I do hope it makes us think! I know it does me!

I end with this quote by Dr. Ironside. "If it's new, it's not true, and if it's true, it's not new."


4 comments:

Camille said...

Oh YES!! God's WORD is powerful and EVERYTHING we need is there...you are so right..."self help" books abound, but what of the WORD of GOD?? Is it studied and meditated on and looked to for the answers? Very often not, because it takes effort and time. May the Lord use this post to be a blessing to many. Thanks for sharing your heart Terri...I am thankful for you!

With Love,
Camille

Terri said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Camille. I have certain "buttons" that really frustrate me, but I always want to make sure I'm speaking out of love and gentleness and completely in line with the Word of God. You have no idea how thankful I am for you, and your faithful uplifting comments! I know I can count on you to speak truth back to me as well, and that is a priceless gift!

Much love,
Terri

Camille said...

Only because of HIM is there ANY good in me! I am thankful we are friends...that long ago "random" search I did on a blog that turned out to be yours ~ and now we are friends! Isn't the SOVEREIGNTY of our GREAT God amazing?? Even in something as simple as a "random search" (I actually don't believe in anything being "random"). For a long time yours and my sister's blogs were the only two I would read regularly...interesting how things go hey? :)

Have a wonderful day!
Love,
Camille

Terri said...

I love how God works, Camille, and I'm so thankful to know that even if we never meet this side of heaven (which I hope someday we do!) we will spend eternity together. Blessings, my friend.