Wednesday, July 15, 2009

FARM STUFF


Our sweet little goat ("Cookie") had twin girls this past Sunday night during a nasty thunderstorm. She's been a good mama and the kids are SO cute! I haven't gotten any decent pics yet, but will post some when I do. I'm hoping to begin milking her in about a week or two. Learning how all this works has been a challenge, but very fun. I think she'll be an easy one to milk as she just stands still and lets us do anything to her and her babies. She totally trusts us, which is good. And yes, we do hope to drink the milk! Aden for sure! :)

We have another female goat named "Chocolate" and our kids named the new babies "Chip" and "Dough", so together we have Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I love letting the kids name the critters. :) You never know what they'll think of next! We also have "Billy", the daddy goat. We have way more goats than I ever thought we'd have!


Tonight we were offered two bum calves at a reasonable price, so we plan to get those as well. Yeah! I've been wanting to get some beef cows, but we just haven't made work of it. We will have to bottle feed those for a while 2-3 times a day, so our farm chores are quickly increasing over here.

Two pigs are ready to head to the butcher and we just added two piglets to the farm a few weeks ago. Things never cease to be busy around here, but I must say we all love it, the kids especially.

3 comments:

Camille said...

Just some food for thought on the baby calves you are getting...if they are anything like the ones my friend has had...they are difficult to keep alive. Just be prepared...

Terri said...

thanks... :)

Camille said...

Sorry to be the bearer of that kind of news...but if something should happen, I just didn't want you to think you did something wrong! :)