Tuesday, September 30, 2008

SCRIPTURE MEMORY

We all know it's something we should do, but if you're like me, it's a struggle that I don't fight very often. I memorize verses with my kids, but I'm ready to take on a bit more and really make sure it sticks in my long-term memory. So, Evan and I have decided to do it together and hold each other accountable. He heard a really good teaching on memorizing scripture this past weekend at the men's retreat he went to and came home and motivated me to join him. The guy who taught the session has several books of the Bible memorized. We are going to start with just a few verses each week and hopefully work up to larger chunks.

This week it's Romans 9:9-12:

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate towards one another with brotherly love, in honor, giving preference to one another. Not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord. Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation and continuing steadfastly in prayer.

Since that was from memory, I'm not sure where all my punctuation goes. It's amazing how many times a day I am prompted to try to say this. I hope this is the start of something that we can keep up. I guess that's why accountability is key! It's also a very good reminder that what I'm committing to memory is how I should be living my life every moment of every day.

For another post, I will explain our scripture memory box that I have used with my kids, which helps review and maintain what you memorize. But that is for another day.

No comments: