Even though school has been a bit of a challenge for all of us these past few days (weeks?), we have been doing some great learning once we get going. It's the getting going and staying that way that seems to be the challenge!
Myah has been learning how "Jesus is the resurrection and the life". She's been discovering some good poetry, learning about Abe Lincoln, the transcontinental railroad, and still plugging away at studying each state individually. We've been learning about forces in science, with an in-depth look at magnets. Her reading has blossomed. I can't keep enough new books around for her to devour. Being without my van for about 3 weeks has made trips to the library kind of difficult!
Joel has studied butterflies and frogs these past 2 weeks. We learned that "God can make us new" like a butterfly and that we "can have a wise tongue" like a frog. We have watched 5 caterpillars turn into chrysalids and are waiting for them to hatch out any day now. Joel made a frog book telling us all he learned about frogs. He's also been working on basic addition and subtraction in his math, which he really seems to be enjoying.
As I look ahead to next year, which I always do in the spring, I am planning to take 1 year off from "My Father's World" curriculum with Myah in order to have time to focus on some different things that I just don't have time for when we're working through an in-depth curriculum. That will put Myah and Joel working through the same study the following year called, "Exploring Countries and Cultures." I just love how this curriculum is set up so that children from 2nd-6th grade can be learning the same things, just on different levels. It keeps mom's job so much easier. It was weird as I was looking "way" ahead and found myself planning for the year 2016 and beyond, plugging the kids into the curriculum cycle to see where it fell for everyone. That was kind of a scary feeling. We have many years ahead of us yet!
Putting my own plans together for Myah next year will be somewhat of a challenge, but I'm looking forward to it. It'll definitely bring me back to my teaching days. I hope to have it all figured out before baby comes, but that may be wishful thinking. Joel's stuff is all laid out for me, so that helps.
And then there's Kiana.... who is ready to jump into school head first. She has her pre-school book, which she just loves, but I can tell she wants more 1 on 1 time with it & mommy. She is literally a sponge right now, and if I can just make the time to really focus on things with her, I think she'll just blossom. Learning seems to come easy for her, but I'm not sure if I'M ready to have 3 in school yet! I'm hoping to put her off one more year, but we'll have to see.
My main focus, of course, is to continue to teach my children about Jesus and to bring them up loving and serving Him with all their hearts. My prayer is that they will be lights shining in this dark world, making a difference for the kingdom of God. If after all their schooling, they walk away loving Jesus personally, seeking to serve Him, I will consider our years to be 100% successful. I could never teach my children without the help of Christ. It is on Him that I depend daily for wisdom and patience to train up our children. We are so thankful for our family and the privilege of loving them and teaching them about God's love.
2 comments:
i admire how organized you are. :)
Thanks. It's really the only way I stay on top of anything. Sometimes too much organization can be stressful in the homeschool setting though. I'm not always as flexible as I should be.
Post a Comment