Monday, January 21, 2008

MY RESPONSE

What does being a Christian mean to you, and how does that look in the society we live in?

I guess the reason for this question has been the impact of some teaching we've been receiving for years now. Pastor Wayne is constantly drilling into our heads the question of our focus. It's something I'm striving to DAILY grasp a hold of in this crazy culture we have been planted in. Having my focus on Jesus Christ in all my daily doings is what being a Christian means to me. In our society, this is no easy task.

I recently heard a teaching on Psalm 1 from a man in our congregation whose family has been called to Uganda and will be moving there within a few months. Some of his main points that spoke to me most were simple and yet profound. Here are just a few:

1) It takes discipline to study God's Word.

2) Savor every phrase, every bite.

3) We need to prefer His Word over food, sleep, wealth, relationships, hobbies, etc.

4) Meditate on it, like a cow chews it's cud.

I always come back to the reason I was put on this earth -- to glorify God and to bring others to Him. Unless I feed myself with the meat of the Word of God, I won't be very successful at this. Beth Moore once said, "The keys to successful living are 1) studying God's Word and 2) getting on our knees." Nothing else matters in this world, excpet what we do for the kingdom of God. NOTHING. And nothing prepares me for this world and my calling in it like those two things. It's a scary thought, as I often am distracted by everything around me. Even if they're good things -- if it comes before my time and relationship with God, I am out of line, which is so often the case. I'm so thankful for the verse about there being "no condemnation for those who are in Christ", because keeping focus is such a struggle, but it is my heart's desire.

Evan has taught me a lot about this the past couple of months. He, too, has been striving to "meditate on God's Word day and night" (Ps. 1). He's taken this serious enough, that he now brings Biblical teachings to work and listens to them as he works. He says it actually makes him MORE productive in his work and it fills his mind with the Word of God. So much of our conversations lately have centered around the teachings and passages that he's been listening to and studying. He's been comparing different teachers on certain passages and figuring out what his beliefs are on some tough passages. It's been very cool to see the fruit produced from him meditating on God's Word all throughout the day. I'm not sure where this quote came from, but often times, "The thing that keeps us from receiving the truth is the belief that we already have the truth." What a powerful thought.

I have been challenging myself in my walk with Jesus to be in the Word more and be in prayer more. It is then that I am the mom, wife, friend and person that I need to be. My only problem is that I fail way too often. The neat thing is, God sees my heart and my desire and helps me back up -- even if it takes a while. (No condemnation!) I am passionate about serving Jesus. I want my kids to catch that passion. I really want to make a difference in this world during the vapor of time I am given here. I don't want to waste a moment.

So, take up my challenge and ask yourself every day, WHERE IS YOUR FOCUS???? In this crazy world we live in, if it's a little off, we will be, too.










No comments: