Tuesday, December 12, 2006

HINTS FOR EASIER TRAVELING -- PART 1: FOOD!

As I anticipate 23 hours on the road the end of next week, (& we won't even think about the return trip of the same distance only a little more than a week later!) I'm trying to gear up the best I can to make things as easy as possible. One thing I've learned about road-trips, especially with kids, is that having healthy snacks readily available is very important. We made this same trip last year, and only stopped for one meal the entire trip, if I remember right. (A healthy breakfast in the morning!) I just can't stand eating all that fast food, and it makes my stomach churn just thinking about it. Here are some thoughts about what good "road-trip" food might be. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to share! I'd love to expand my horizons a bit!

* fresh fruits (oranges, grapes, apples, etc.)
* fresh veggies (carrots and broccoli are favorites in this family, and yes, we have to have dip -- the little containers work best!)
* peanuts, mixed nuts, sunflower seeds
* crackers, pretzels
* summer sausage
* cheese slices or string cheese
* yogurt cups (save you from having to buy the "parfaits" at Mc D's)
* bagels (with mom controlled cream cheese)
* granola bars
* lots of water bottles

I even thought of stocking up on things like those cold coffee drinks at Costco before we go. Otherwise at 2am, Evan is buying caffeine to keep himself awake and paying $2+ for something! (He's not usually a caffeine guy...only when he has to drive at 2am b/c his wife can't keep her eyes open...)

Another thing I have learned to do is bring a bowl/container of some sort along for each child that is their own. Then when they want something, I serve it to them in that. They put any trash back in it and hand it back to me.

Any other suggestions??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terri, those letter pretzels are great tummy fillers and are fun to create words and learn alphabet with!
Can't wait to see you!
Love, Julie