ONE MORE THING ON MY PLATE
I am hesitant to even write a post about this, but I suppose knowing that other people know I'm attempting this task will help to keep me accountable. For MANY years now, I have wanted to learn to play the guitar. Back in highschool (or was it college?) I got a guitar for Christmas, and have slowly picked away at learning a chord or two here and there and then setting it down for a year only to forget everything I had learned, as little as it was. I even attempted to teach myself through some "at home videos", which I also failed miserably at. I remember praying about it and just asking God that if it's His will for me to learn, then I needed Him to help me.
Since we've been hosting a weekly Bible study at our house, and our pastor drives out to lead it every week, he has been giving me 1/2 hour guitar lessons for the past month or so. I still only know a handful of chords, but at least feel like I now have the means to learn more, if I can only absorb everything I can from him during this time. My biggest issue is time to practice, of course, but I just had success with my fingers stretching to one of those more difficult chords, (which I've been trying to get for weeks now, it seems!) and now am encouraged enough to keep going!
2 comments:
Sounds like fun! How wonderful that you're wanting to learn now! I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano so I tried to learn along with my kids. They would go to lessons and I would get to watch and practice their music. I'm still not a "player" but I can read simple music.
I'm in the same boat with my cello- took one year of lessons and know enough to be "dangerous." But there is a family in our church who all play strings, so they're hooking me up with a cello instructor. Now, if I could only find time to practice. Maybe we can aim to have a concert at Christmas when we see eachother! Ha! Like we'll have room to PACK such large instruments! We'd better take up the piccolo...
Sara
Post a Comment