Tuesday, December 10, 2013

PEACE IN CHRIST ALONE, NO MATTER THE STORM

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

Fear isn't from the Lord. There are many things in life that cause us fear. It's so important to remember who I am in Christ, and any feeling of fear is not from Him.

Instead, God has given me His power! What an amazing gift we have in the Holy Spirit! His power is given to me so that I may love in all circumstances -- it's a power to love and have a self-controlled mind, to not let fear control my mind. God has given us the ability to be calm, not anxious, no matter what the storm is that's brewing outside. Confusion and panic should have no place in my mind, but rather peaceful thinking. This "sound mind" or "self-control" as the ESV puts it, is a gift to us from the Lord, and comes from His power. This is peace.

John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." 

I recently read a story about an art teacher who assigned the class to paint a picture that depicts "PEACE". He wanted them to think beyond a sunset, or a good seascape... after viewing several students' work, he was still rather frustrated. It really hadn't been anything unusual; nothing had really stood out to him, until he came to one painted by a young girl. She had painted a strong storm at sea with tiny ship in the midst of it. Everyone aboard this boat has fear in their eyes as the huge waves crashed and rocked the boat... then your eyes come to a young little boy, being held by his father. He is sound asleep in his arms. His face showed neither fear nor concern. The storm was raging all around him, but he was peaceful in his father's arms.

I gave my children this same assignment today as one of their options. One child captured it well. She painted a  shepherd holding a sheep in one hand, fighting off wolves with the staff in His other. This is the security I have when I rest in my Lord. This is peace.

"The peace that the world gives depends on blue skies, safe surroundings, freedom from fighting, disturbances and worry. But the peace that Jesus gives lasts right through the storms. Nothing can touch us nor hurt us without God having allowed it to happen for our benefit. To know and trust that He is in control whatever our situation is to know peace." Patricia St. John 

No comments: