SCHOOL
I am learning more and more of what homeschool looks like in our home for our family. It's every day. It's in little things, like chores, bugs & turtles. I am even getting a bit better at keeping track of those little things so I'm not so frustrated with tracking school hours for the state... but still have a long ways to go with that. Homeschool tracker has helped me with this. I use the basic edition (which is free), and mostly just for "attendance" record and journaling their hours and work. I use to do this all on a calendar, but this seems to be much easier for me.
Much of our curriculum has stayed the same this year. We once again will use My Father's World for our Bible/History/Science. We are in our 3rd year of the 5 year cycle, studying Rome to the Reformation. I am even sticking close to the Language Arts they recommend this year after straying a bit last year. Myah will use Writing Strands, Intermediate Language Lessons and All in One English. Both she and Joel will continue with Spelling Power. Joel will continue with Primary Language Lessons.
Math has been our biggest switch this year. I have purchased Teaching Textbooks for both Myah and Joel this year. It costs quite a bit more than I have spent in past years, but I am looking forward to having one less subject that I personally have to teach. Teaching Textbooks does all the teaching and grading for me! I'm thinking it was worth every penny.... Myah has already done several lessons completely on her own free will and enjoyed it.
We have also added a typing program and some basic Spanish to our list this year.
Kiana started working through the first grade curriculum last year. I am going to spend lots of time reviewing that and hope to have it finished by Christmas. She will do Singapore Math and Spelling by Sound and Structure.
Probably one of the biggest assets to our homeschool is the Children's Life Journal. It coincides with mine and Evan's daily reading & is a perfect way to teach our children the importance of their own personal time with the Lord. I have been telling my children that God doesn't have grandchildren... only children. They need to have their own walk with the Lord and not cling to mine or their dad's. For those with kids a bit older, they also have a teen version. The thing I love about this, is that it's all about the Word of God. Period. What God is teaching them from His Word and His Word alone.
As we endeavor to teach our children the truth of the Word of God, please pray for us to have wisdom and for their precious hearts to be so captivated by Jesus that they fall more and more in love with Him and His Word. That is why we homeschool. Their purpose here is the same as mine, to glorify God in every aspect of their lives and to grow up going into all the world preaching the Gospel and making disciples. God desires to equip them to do just this. My prayer is that through these years of teaching them at home, is a good foundation for this goal.
1 comment:
Thank you for sharing the things that are working for you and your homeschool Terri...it's encouraging to read that you are getting into a system that works well for your family. How wonderful!! I like the sounds of that math curriculum you are using...what a blessing that Myah is completing it on her own and enjoying it! :)
Have a lovely weekend!
Blessings to you!
Camille
Post a Comment