Friday, June 04, 2010

WASHING OF THE FEET

I just loved the study from John 13 that we had at the shelter last night.  So much from that chapter came alive to me that I had never seen there before. 

When Peter said to the Lord, "You shall never wash my feet!" and Jesus responds rather harshly with "If I do not wash you, you have no part with me."  It is exactly the same way with us.  If we are not washed -- regenerated, we have no part with Him.  What did Jesus wash?  The dirt and dust from living in the world that had collected on their feet.  What does He wash in us?  The "junk" from living in the world.  Sin. 

Then Peter, still not understanding the spiritual application says, "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!"  And Jesus replies, "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."  Once we are bathed, we are "completely clean", but we still need to have our feet washed on a regular basis.  What a beautiful pictures of our standing with Jesus Christ, and also of sanctification.

There is so much more here that I'd love to write about, but I have a crying child who needs to get up from his nap!

1 comment:

Camille said...

Dear Terri ~ Such rich truths to be found there! Thanks for sharing...it's lovely to hear your heart in this post. Oh how wonderful that the LORD is constantly sanctifying us and we are kept by HIM for HIS glory!! How gracious HE is with us!

Have a lovely evening!
Love,
Camille